Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications
JohnMusic Wrote:Are there any computer experts here? And if so may we chat in private message?

But then your time is valuable and how the hell am i to ask anything.

Yeah apparently quite a few apparently....ask away... There is the tech support forum or technology forum down on the main page... I have helped a few people on here with computer issues.

trywait Wrote:adulting! making grown up decisions.

perhaps to open doors: finish a degree, any degree--maybe the one in information systems.

afterwards: add in the certifications in the fields that you want. ultimately, if teaching is the end goal.

the only reason is because I had a co-worker with an undergrad in history, a master's in information science, and now works as an aerospace engineering integrator. how she ended up on that path befuddles me, but it's worked for her and she really enjoys what's she doing now.

i wanted to be a pharmacist when i grow up but i took a left turn somewhere.

cest la vie

I just feel that I need something desides a 2 year degree, if I am do ever get out of this place. I am almost thinking not to, that my goal should only be to pay off my credit cards and move out and just deal with
Camfer Wrote:$30K in debt for a CS degree would be very manageable if you worked as a programmer. It might be harder to pay off as a community college instructor. To understand what degree(s) and qualifications you need to teach at a community college, you may want to look at their job postings and see what is listed for that.

Getting certifications and teaching them in a continuing ed situation does sound feasible too.

It sounds like you are ready to progress in some form, so I encourage you to go for it! Commit to increasing your skills in 2017.

[MENTION=19807]SilverBullet[/MENTION] Assembly, ugh! I still remember doing that coursework. Yay for modern computer languages!

Well I would have to talk to my adviser or one of the instructors here to find out more about different requirements. It would be nice to have some supplemental income too, even if it is a per semester thing or non-curriculum.

So what is hot as far as certifications go? I know that things Microsoft are still valuable, like things surrounding Office 365 and so on... I don't know that I see much purpose on CompTIA stuff, maybe Network +?

kindy64 Wrote:That's just it, with modern libraries, the heavy lifting in generally done for you. Most programmers don't need to know assembler, or how to handle the math on multi dimensional matrixes.

Want to be a game "programmer," the path you take depends on what you actually want to do. A lot of the coding is done for you, and the job is mainly setting up environments, and meta data. You have graphic designers doing most of the art work. Look at https://unity3d.com/ for instance.

Want to be a database administrator (DBA), go for courses in SQL, database design, and admin certs.

I did write a relatively simple program that runs off a MySQL database. Nothing hardcore but basically it is for tracking of server updates and whatnot, kind of a like inventory sort to speak... I mean it is something I can certainly expand on so might be on to something there... I do HATE Access though.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by SilverBullet - 12-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by JohnMusic - 12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by InbetweenDreams - 12-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by JohnMusic - 12-01-2016, 05:55 PM