Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese woman throws coins in to engine for good luck!
It sort of disheartens me to see that you said "What else can you expect from a people who still believe that tiger bones and rhinoceros horn have medicinal value?", reasons being that no clear evidence, base on the news, may lead to the conclusion that a woman who threw a coin into a jet engine also believes in such medicinal value. As I have mentioned earlier in another post, it falls prey to overgeneralization. A woman cannot represent "a people". She is just "a person".

People prefer simplification by attaching labels to others, which, although making everything easier to understand, is at the peril of sounding chauvinistic. Indeed, there have been different (if not drastically) cultural patterns deeply rooted in terms of nationality and ethnicity, but it appears to be not so well-grounded to assume that "You Chinese do this and that" as a whole. I used to think that Germans are, overall, diligent and punctual, but it has turned out to be stereotype as I had been studying there. Think about how it feels to hear a guy, who knows little about the U.K., say "You U.K. folks are _______." The label issue is something I have been trying so hard to guard against and recover from. It seems impossible to completely get rid of it since we have our own pride and prejudice in favor of certain things. At least we can be aware of it.

Let me tell you a story: While I was traveling in Vienna, an old guy (presumably Austrian though I can't be sure), on sight of me getting on the bus, started talking with contempt till I got off. Is it fair to draw a conclusion that people in Austria are all like him? I'm afraid not. I have one of the most wonderful conversations with other Austrian guys the other night. Maybe a single case can hardly guarantee a well-grounded statement. That particular guy is no more than a person.

However, I still want to point out that I am by no means trying to justify what this particular woman did, which is really, and I quote from meridannight, "plain stupidity". And speaking of your personal experience of flying on a Chinese airline, I do agree with you. Some of them (not all) suck. Smile

Oh, in case of being overly defensive, I really want to share this song with you. Despite what I said above, I think it's just fine to be a little bit biased. Smile

Quote:- Say, Kate, can I ask you a question? - Sure!
- Well, you know Trekkie Monster upstairs? - Uh huh.
- Well, he's Trekkie Monster, and you're Kate Monster. - Right.
- You're both Monsters. - Yeah.
- Are you two related? - What?! Princeton, I'm surprised at you! I find that racist!
- Oh, well, I'm sorry! I was just asking! - Well, it's a touchy subject.
- No, not all Monsters are related. What are you trying say, huh? That we all look the same to you? Huh, huh, huh? - No, no, no, not at all. I'm sorry, I guess that was a little racist.
- I should say so. You should be much more careful when you're talking about the sensitive subject of race. - Well, look who's talking!
- What do you mean? - What about that special Monster School you told me about?
- What about it? - Could someone like me go there?
- No, we don't want people like you- - You see?!

You're a little bit racist.
Well, you're a little bit too.
I guess we're both a little bit racist.
Admitting it is not an easy thing to do...
But I guess it's true.
Between me and you,
I think
Everyone's a little bit racist
Sometimes.
Doesn't mean we go
Around committing hate crimes.
Look around and you will find
No one's really color blind.
Maybe it's a fact
We all should face
Everyone makes judgments
Based on race.

- Now not big judgments, like who to hire or who to buy a newspaper from - No!
- No, just little judgments like thinking that Mexican busboys should learn to speak goddamn English! - Right!

Today.
So, everyone's a little bit racist
Okay!
Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,
But you laugh because
They're based on truth.
Don't take them as
Personal attacks.
Everyone enjoys them -
So relax!

- All right, stop me if you've heard this one. - Okay!
- There's a plan going down and there's only one paracute. And there's a rabbi, a priest... - And a black guy!
- Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Kate? - Uh...
- You were telling a black joke! - Well, sure, Gary, but lots of people tell black jokes.
- I don't. - Well, of course you don't - you're black!
- But I bet you tell Polack jokes, right? - Well, sure I do. Those stupid Polacks!
- Now, don't you think that's a little racist? - Well, damn, I guess you're right.

You're a little bit racist.
Well, you're a little bit too.
We're all a little bit racist.
I think that I would
Have to agree with you.
We're glad you do.
It's sad but true!
Everyone's a little bit racist -
All right!
All right!
All right!
All right!
Bigotry has never been
Exclusively white
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
Even though we all know
That it's wrong,
Maybe it would help us
Get along.

- Oh, Christ do I feel good. - Now there was a fine upstanding black man!
- Who? - Jesus Christ.
- But, Gary, Jesus was white. - No, Jesus was black.
- No, Jesus was white. - No, I'm pretty sure that Jesus was black-
Guys, guys...Jesus was Jewish!

- Hey guys, what are you laughing about? - Racism!
Cool.
BRIAN! Come back here! You take out lecycuraburs!
- What's that mean? - Um, recyclables.
- Hey, don't laugh at her! How many languages do you speak? - Oh, come off it, Brian!
- Everyone's a little bit racist. - I'm not!
- Oh no? - Nope! How many Oriental wives Have you got?
What? Brian!
Brian, buddy, where you been?
The term is Asian-American!
I know you are no
Intending to be
But calling me Oriental -
Offensive to me!

- I'm sorry, honey, I love you. - And I love you.
- But you're racist, too. - Yes, I know.

The Jews have all
The money
And the whites have all
The power.
And I'm always in taxi-cab
With driver who no shower!
Me too!
Me too!
I can't even get a taxi!

It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!
Christmas Eve:
Evlyone's a ritter bit lacist!
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Messages In This Thread
Chinese woman throws coins in to engine for good luck! - by Bowyn Aerrow - 06-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Chinese woman throws coins in to engine for good luck! - by sillyboy86 - 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Chinese woman throws coins in to engine for good luck! - by Bowyn Aerrow - 07-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Chinese woman throws coins in to engine for good luck! - by Alvin - 07-03-2017, 09:21 AM