Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never type this stuff into your computer
(02-26-2021, 08:43 PM)rado84 Wrote: If you know what you're doing, DD can be quite useful. Yes, it's risky but not in the hands of an experienced user. However, it's also quite pointless - esp. if you're using it to create a bootable USB drive (this is the most popular function of DD), bc there are many FOSS programs that do it perfectly, not to mention faster.

As for the remove command, it's perfect if you use it in the mount point of a Windows 10 installation... Big Grin

Oh yes, dd is useful, just one typo away from oh shit! lol And I agree that it is just easier to build a bootable USB from a GUI app.

As far as removing Windows 10 installation I think dd is also a good use case since who wants NTFS?

To be honest I do have a Windows 10 install on my machine alongside Linux, but not your typical dual-boot setup, at least not in the "traditional" sense. Instead of allowing GRUB and Windows sharing the same boot space I simply have it where GRUB is on the disk with Linux and the Windows Bootloader is on the disk with Windows. Also have Linux in RAID 10 with 3 SSD's so it runs pretty nice. Oh it's about time I start planning my next system build this 6700k is getting long in the tooth.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Never type this stuff into your computer - by InbetweenDreams - 02-26-2021, 11:27 PM