Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Junk
@Bookworm I don't think it is so much he's not putting in effort. I think he's just used to not doing anything. As always there's more to the story. Some years back he had a wisdom tooth removed and they put him under general anesthesia. Something from it caused him to start having panic attacks all the time and apparently doctors suggested he go on disability. Not sure what happened, I suspect he had anxiety issues before all this and whatever happened made it worse. I think he's just got comfortable where he is. It seems he never got any sense of direction in life. Like he's 30 and doesn't have any idea what he wants to do for a career. Don't get me wrong a lot of people don't know, but I doubt he wants to work at an animal hospital cleaning up after parvo.

Yes communication is a big thing and when I get "I guess" or "I don't know" or just silence it does get old. I do think it is a mix of anxiety and maybe just that he doesn't have a response to things in our conversations... I'd rather it be anxiety over simply not having an answer.

When it comes to these old cars, yes, he thinks he's going to fix them up. The reality is, the math doesn't add up. It is insane to buy a car that is 25 years old and not even both to check the fluids, look for leaks and so on before you buy it. I've told him a while back that it doesn't make sense for him to buy all these cars. He spent $1200 on a 1990 Buick LeSabre that has no brakes...I just can't get over that he paid that much for a car he had to have a tow truck bring to his parent's house lol. Yes, sure, the engine is in good shape and interior is good and could be used as a parts car for the Oldsmobiles (TL;DR The Oldsmobile 88's, 98's and Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue and Electra of that vintage shared the same H body platform), but he isn't skilled enough to get a cherry picker to pluck the engine and transmission out of car.

He has a '86 Corvette that is in decent shape that he could have spent the money to get fixed and have something cool to drive around.

The other thing is that he uses these crap mechanics, the type that own a towing company and throw parts at cars. That's partly why it is going to cost $900 to get his truck fixed, assuming the guy guessed the right part this time. I told him that better mechanics cost more on labor but you wouldn't be paying for all these parts that didn't need replacing. But, perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm doing my best not to come off as being mean or in a controlling way. I have told him, hey it's your money... But 6 or 7 cars and none of them can make the drive, that is stupid if you ask me.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 04:14 AM
RE: Buying Junk - by Cridders88 - 05-11-2021, 01:09 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 02:39 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by Bookworm - 05-11-2021, 08:38 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 09:29 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by Chase - 05-13-2021, 06:29 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-14-2021, 04:02 PM