Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Distros - Out of the Box Experience
Mint for me was pretty good but I actually had performance issues with Cinnamon, and yes you can install whatever desktop environment you want but it is usually more seamless to use a distro with it baked in...although I say that where Debian let's you install as many desktop environments as you want and so far I haven't noticed anything screwy.

I don't do a whole lot of gaming but I do occasionally waste a ton of time playing around in BeamNG drive and I was able to get it to run with Lutris which is basically Wine. Not sure if or when BeamNG will be more Linux compatible. But if Office ever comes to Linux that will certainly change things. I have also heard rumors that Microsoft will ditch the NT kernel, favoring the Linux kernel and use a compatibility layer to make legacy Windows applications run...but that's is all but a pipe dream since Windows 11 appears to run the NT kernel as far as I know. Can't say I actually looked into it. You can run Linux inside Windows with the "Linux Subsystem for Windows" and can be pretty handy, but I'd rather have the real thing.

But yes, sadly, I do also come back to Daddy Microsoft so I can get into Office and my games. However, like you said with games, a lot of stuff in Linux works much better now than they ever did in the past and things seem to get better all the time.

Oh as far as a Windows server. I used to run my websites with IIS. It worked and all but when I ported everything over to Apache the performance doubled. Same hardware, still running PHP and MySQL on the backend but just ran so much better. Plus you don't have to run a GUI at all with Linux if you don't need it. Yes, you can run Apache in Windows but that's blasphemy.

I will have to check into Steam more because things might have changed with some of the other games I have in Windows too...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linux Distros - Out of the Box Experience - by InbetweenDreams - 07-20-2021, 01:09 PM