Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern coyotes, coywolves, what are they?
Okay, I did more research.

So, the term "coywolf" is misleading and should be dropped.

There are different kinds of coyotes, like the desert coyote and California coyote. The Eastern Coyote is, obviously, in the East. Eastern coyotes are part wolves, but only in the sense that they have interbed with wolves in the past. There are no wolves (supposedly) in the American Northeast like New England and New York, because European colonists hunted them all out. However, there are still wolves in Canada, especially in eastern Canada like Ontario where there are also eastern coyotes.

There is still contemporary crossbreeding between eastern coyotes and wolves that happen today in eastern Canada like the province of Ontario, but there are no wolves across the border in the northeastern US. However, the coyotes that live in New England and New York and other regions in the east still have a fraction of wolf DNA from crossbreeding that happened hundreds of years ago.

This makes eastern coyotes larger and more aggressive than other kinds of coyotes (with an exception to the aggressiveness of Wile E. Coyote, of course). So the term "coywolf" is misleading, as it doesn't specify whether one is talking about eastern coyotes or contemporary crossbreeds.

Some vids:

Apparently I can only use one video per post if I use the insert video function, but they pop up when I insert them as links:

Close to what I saw, although the one I saw was a lot taller:

Too cute not to watch:

A video on what to do if you encounter a coyote:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eastern coyotes, coywolves, what are they? - by Chase - 07-21-2021, 06:01 AM