Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migrating to another country
(08-02-2021, 07:27 PM)Jay Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 09:46 AM)Anonymous Wrote: Hi there,

I'm from Malaysia. Raised in a Muslim family. My parents found out that I'm gay when I was in high school. They were upset. They have forgotten now/would like to think it was a phase. I came out to my friends/public after I secured a job and older.

To answer your questions.

Is it an acceptable reason that I'm planning to migrate to another (LGBT-friendly) country just to find a life partner and be in a relationship?

I don't see why not. One of my ex colleagues, a Muslim migrated to USA so he can live happily with his partner. But he's quite fortunate as his family members are liberal. His parents support his sex orientation and adores his partner. His big brother is gay too. He has a partner. But his big brother and partner live in Malaysia. Also my ex colleague doesn't have issue to migrate because he's very well off in terms of finance. He comes from a very rich family. 

I mean it's not a guarantee that I will be able to find a boyfriend and I might still be single even after dating for umpteenth times.

Doesn't matter because as a bonus, you'll find better security and stability to be the real you in LGBT friendly country.

Also, migrating is not so easy and simple.

Yes. Financially you have to be really strong. Also consider what expertise you are able to contribute to the potential country as well.

I'm not sure if I can adapt to the new culture, customs and lifestyle. And there could be other issues like employment, housing etc.

I'm sure it is scary but worry one thing at a time. Save money for migration for a start.

I'm not sure if it's worth the risk to migrate so that I could date freely.

Best is to broaden the scope on why you want to migrate. Yes, to find a partner. But in the end, you want to have a better and safer life as a gay man without living in fear. 

Am I a coward to not let my family or current friends know about my new (but true) life and hide it from them?

Eh, no. It's your life and not theirs. They have theirs and you have yours. If you continue to worry about what they want and needs, you will have difficulties to reach your dreams. And the clock is ticking. We're not getting younger (I'm 37 myself). Time waits for no men. Additionally, you have to protect yourself as you come from a country where homosexuality is criminalised. 

Personally, I'm out but I don't feel like out-ing myself to my parents and family again. Once was enough. I keep my social media away from my family. Same goes with my private life. 

Best wishes to you.

Thanks for all your replies. Not sure if I can save enough to migrate though. My earnings is just enough to support me and my parents (who are old). Nvm I'll be hopeful that it will work out in the future.

Messages In This Thread
Migrating to another country - by Anonymous - 07-31-2021, 09:46 AM
RE: Migrating to another country - by Jay - 08-02-2021, 07:27 PM
RE: Migrating to another country - by Anonymous - 08-08-2021, 04:11 PM
RE: Migrating to another country - by ChadCoxRox - 08-09-2021, 04:51 PM
RE: Migrating to another country - by Anonymous - 08-13-2021, 06:04 AM