Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Chappell "Cancelation" Controversy.
I guess I'll have to watch it first and then give my opinion.

I have been a long time fan of Chappelle, and I know he's made some transgender jokes on one of his earlier specials but I didn't think his intent was to be hateful towards transgender people in the other specials, perhaps my opinion will change after this. There is some leeway you have to give to comedians, but it gets really murky as to where the line is and should be. I mean after all, you can crack jokes about priests having sex with minors all day and I also think that those jokes are offensive to some who might be religious for instance, so it depends on who you ask as to whether the alter boy jokes are funny or not. We might find that shit funny, while they might find it highly offensive especially because it does happen. Of course it goes beyond that, it is a matter of context, a matter of intent and a matter of the effects on people who hear the jokes.

You know what I like about Jay Leno? When I watch old segments of his monologs on The Tonight Show, he would make political jokes, but he never picked on one side of the political isle, he managed to stay pretty neutral. So, I do think a comedian can be funny while not insulting or alienating a group of people, or even say fuck, shit, or cunt in their act. And no, I'm not saying Jay Leno is the best comic ever or anything like that.

Here's another example. Who here knows who Sam Kinison is? To be fair, I like him, I like his comedy. Also understand that in the late 80's and early 90's (before his tragic death) it was perfectly fine to make gay jokes and some were kind of on the hateful. Sam did a bit about a gay necrophiliac...

Quote:Well, life was tough, but at least I was able to live it out and I was able to face death and not be afraid. Well, now I'm ready to go to Heaven and be with Jesus, and... hey? Hey, what's this? Oh, God it feels like a man's dick in my ass! Oh, God! I'm dead! Oh, you mean life keeps on fucking you even after you're dead? Oh, it never ends!
Mind you, Sam does this while laying on the stage, using his toes to rock himself back and forth.

Also bear in mind that this was 1990 in the middle of the AIDS pandemic. Yes, we know a lot more about AIDS now, but back then understand the landscape. What Sam said was funny, I mean call me a jerk but I did laugh at that. However, what message did the audience get from that? Perhaps that gay men might fuck corpses, after all they're getting this unknown virus and I remember the the fucking rumors...about people fucking monkeys and the lies about how it spread and so on. I think in a way, and perhaps a small one, stuff like that furthered the hate against gay people, after all, if you think a gay guy is going to stick his dick in a dead corpse's butt, might spread some virus you don't know anything about but other than rumors, you might not like gay people in addition to all the other bullshit. So yes, I think comedians can cause harm with their comedy, it just might not be all that apparent.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dave Chappell "Cancelation" Controversy. - by InbetweenDreams - 10-18-2021, 02:39 AM