Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Gets Better Project
I think I was very lucky at school in the 1960s and early 1970s because, although I was never one of the popular boys, I was rarely picked on either. I went to two all boys' schools and I know it was hell for some of the other boys. My own solace was always music, one or two very close friends and my peripheral membership of several groups, rarely being able to get through those outer barriers to somewhere where the popular kids were. A friend I met up up with recently, after thirty-seven years, said the thing he remembered most about me was that I hated seeing people fighting, or being picked on and would always intervene to try and stop it and end up befriending the outcasts. I'd forgotten about my collection of waifs and strays :redface: One day I met someone who'd been living under a blanket in a field for a few days and I took him home. My parents actually welcomed him in, let him use the bath, fed him and I gave him some clothes to wear. He ended up staying with us for a few days and my dad even gave him some labouring work with his cleaning company.

I do, however, remember being on a residential geography field trip after changing schools for the sixth form and one night, with everyone in bed after lights out, almost the whole dorm was performing a real hatchet job on one poor lad's character. He was very new to the school, but his crime was to have asked the wrong person a question about masturbation! I was so shocked that my two best friends were even joining in with this horrible conversation that I just lay there listening to it, hoping that R had fallen asleep and couldn't hear this stuff they were saying about him. In the end I just lost it completely and told everyone what I thought of what they were saying. I suppose everyone was tired, because it did go very quiet after that. For the rest of the week and when we returned to school I made sure that R was included in our conversations and the motor-cycle trips some of us made at lunch-times.

I guess I was lucky to get through it all without being beaten up for being such an interfering, self-righteous prig. Of course these were the years when I was also hearing at church that it would be better for a boy never to have been born than be tempted to commit any sexual act with another boy and that there were no such people as homosexuals, only homosexual acts, which was one way the devil knew how to tempt young men away from god's love and into everlasting darkness. That was the stuff that took its toll on me.

Bastards :mad:

Messages In This Thread
It Gets Better Project - by Ryhunt86 - 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
It Gets Better Project - by fredv3b - 09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
It Gets Better Project - by SlipknotRlZZ - 09-27-2010, 08:41 PM
It Gets Better Project - by SlipknotRlZZ - 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM
It Gets Better Project - by Ryhunt86 - 09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
It Gets Better Project - by TimmyThink - 10-03-2010, 02:24 AM
It Gets Better Project - by marshlander - 10-03-2010, 03:33 AM
It Gets Better Project - by posterpicture - 10-03-2010, 04:04 AM