Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do/want to do?
Hey hey,

Firstly don't rush the job/uni decision. Take a yr off if you can, if you can't play it safe in a faculty, search around, pull up the course calendars and see if u may want to switch degree/departments. Alot of people don't know what is offered until they get into university and then see the course offerings, and then they get a better idea of what they can do.

I was at a loss as to what to do at university level, all I knew was I liked music, books, computers, gadgets, design and a few other random things lol. I ended up studying Information Technology, and it was pretty rewarding, straight out of university I got a job developing music tuition software (i did music since i was 7), so i was meshing two of my fave things. Right now though I'm applying to do a Masters in Library and Information Science, and home to eventually be a data archivist (hopefully for a smithsonian! but i'll settle for MoMA loll). Right now I'm a web developer, I do custom websites dealing with ppl who produce newsletters/publications and have a hard time organising their data online for it to be found. It sounds boring, but its lots of fun, you learn alot (if you maco what the publish) and it feels good to get results. one thing about the web is that it's abit "instant", you get the feel very early whether an idea has been lost in cyberspace or if ppl pick up on it.

for you, basically, first think of what you like. make a list. really. and then search for careers in that field. i always though after my degree i would be a database admin or something, then in my final yr i subscribed to an IT magazine and they had a job issue, and i had never seen sooo many IT related jobs that were soo cool, and could take you places.
anyways, when u find those careers, you have to then see what the requirements might be, go to the tertiary institutes, see what they offer, and build your career from that.

and remember, you don't neccesarily need to enter a degree programme to start off. there are many US and UK programmes that offer Basic Diplomas, then upgrade that to Advanced, then upgrade that to degree, so u can work towards getting a diploma, see if u like it etc.

there are options for everyone, you just have to find it, it is daunting, it takes time, but trust me, when you've found it you'll know u have

Messages In This Thread
What do you do/want to do? - by TuxSky - 10-08-2010, 05:43 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by Snow - 10-08-2010, 06:01 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by hajime.saitou - 10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by TuxSky - 10-08-2010, 06:12 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by posterpicture - 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by hajime.saitou - 10-08-2010, 06:21 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by TuxSky - 10-08-2010, 06:37 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by Vikta - 10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
What do you do/want to do? - by marshlander - 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM