Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, from the UK relocating soon
Hey people,
I'm from the UK, moving to Canada Toronto in two weeks for a year, to experience another way of living.

I really joined just for chat and friends, and mainly because I was wondering what foreigners who have visited the UK or living here make of the UK gay scene.

In my experience as a British person, you get very drunk, and pretty much just randomly you/others start talking. If you like a guy, you catch his eye, if he smiles it's a good sign and you smile back. I guess it pretty much mimics our whole pub culture of you sit down, drink lots of beer/cider and end up in large groups chatting, although in clubs most of the meeting happens around the toilets and outside, where it is quiet enough to speak. I find conversations mostly revolve around comparing notes and sharing stories and opinions on situations. The only down side is that the gay scene can be "fake cliquey" IMO, and it takes meeting a few new people until you find genuine people.

I've visited the gay scene in France. The French have a different way of doing things. No gay scene for meeting people seems to exist as it does in the UK. I guess they do it online. Pubs seem more geared towards friends meeting purely on a social basis. They don't smile or dance but they do scan the room with their eyes, perhaps it is considered overly forward to smile? They seem to be private people and care about outward appearances. The French seem cautious about meeting new people and it seems they stick to their groups.

I hope you Canadians like drinking as much as the British do. I met an American recently. I understand Canada is NOT America, but he tried to have me believe that guys come up to you in America and Canada and put their arms around you in the clubs. I can't be too sure, but it sounded like American humour to me.

Messages In This Thread
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Paul1 - 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Wintereis - 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Wintereis - 06-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by OrphanPip - 06-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Paul1 - 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM