Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, from the UK relocating soon
Well, I cannot comment on the gay scene in the U.K. as i have not been there nor can I comment on the scene in Canada, as I haven't been out on the town while in Canada. I can, however, comment on what your American acquaintance claimed. Yes, sometimes people will come and put their arms around you, touch your back, your butt, etc. But I would say that that is only typical of a few very forward people, generally in dance clubs that also double as a "meat market". In other words, people who are expressly looking for a hookup. And, I might add, if they are being so forward as to start touching you without a preliminary of some sort, an introduction, you would do best to stay clear of them. They probably have a disease.

Dance clubs tend to be impossible to strike up a conversation with people in unless there is a separate lounge or beer garden attached to them. The music tends to be far to loud for establishing new acquaintances. In clubs, people will also look at you, smile, and then come dance with you if they are interested. Besides the physical contact. There are numerous ways of flirting or establishing communication or contact. Asking for the time, a light, or about some observable aspect of the person.

Bars are some what different. They are more laid back, people are able to talk to each other without trying to yell over the music, and they are less sexually charged than clubs. You can certainly strike up a conversation with a stranger if you like. From what you describe, the gay bars in the U.S. are far more like the pubs you are talking about than the gay clubs.

The amount or degree of cliques varies greatly, I have found. Just as the willingness of a person to start up a conversation with a stranger varies greatly.

One thing that you should remember is that, in the scheme of things, British and Canadian cultures are not all that disparate in the larger sense nor is Canadian culture all that disparate from American. Since they all share similar histories and origins, the differences are more subtle than you will find between many other cultures and nations.

Messages In This Thread
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Paul1 - 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Wintereis - 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Wintereis - 06-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by OrphanPip - 06-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Hi, from the UK relocating soon - by Paul1 - 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM