Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amelioration or perjoration of words
I agree the word "gay" is being used more and more in a denigrating way. But I'm not sure that there's a need for a new word (with all due respect).

Smile

I mean, one thing that has really frustrated me as a middle aged American is the way the right wing (as an example) has co-opted the symbols of the Cross and the American flag while simultaneously pissing on everything they stand for.

I, for one, REFUSE to give up these two symbols to people who are guilty of malpractice. So I recommend a similar fight for the word "gay". After all, it was the so-called "homosexual" community who picked that word to describe themselves because they felt the word "homosexual" was too clinical and had connotations of mental illness--well, at least, that's my understanding.

Anyway, no, some things are worth fighting for even if you just keep speaking your truth quietly--which is what I believe Christ would have taught--until you REALLY pissed him off and then he'd start turning over money changing tables in the Temple.

Smile

Messages In This Thread
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by gilhooly - 09-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by LateBloomer - 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by LateBloomer - 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by marshlander - 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by Inchante - 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by colinmackay - 09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Amelioration or perjoration of words - by Inchante - 09-13-2011, 03:53 AM