Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists?
I've sung and played the piano since I was 5 but I started to study music at 16 when I got in a music high school. I studied pop/jazz singing for a year but it didn't interest me that much so I switched to classical. My first teacher was a Japanese soprano who taught very little technique but her song choices were extremely difficult. I thought it was impossible for me to learn anything, she thought I was lazy. She also couldn't understand what my voice type would be, which I kinda understand, because I have veeery low notes, but the color of my voice is more of a tenor.

After high school I got in a conservatory and graduated from there in the spring 2010. In the conservatory I think I learned the most so far. I understood how to practice, when to practice, how to study, what to study, the importance of being in shape, the phonetics of languages..everything fell to place. My teacher there understood the level I was at and the things in my technique that were a bit off. It took a long time to fix the "wrongs" of my high school years. But we did it! We're still friends with my ex-teacher, we call each other sometimes. (And about the voice type issue: with her I found the bass-baritone in me)

After that I started to study classical voice teaching but since teaching isn't really my thing (at least not now, who knows what I'll be doing 20 years from now) I applied to an university in Helsinki to study music performance. I've been here for a few months now and I'm thinking about applying to study abroad, maybe Germany.

Thank you DerJack for making this topic! I hope we discover other (semi-)professional musicians here. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by DerJack - 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by sacredcake - 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by Samis - 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by mrk2010 - 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by Bowyn Aerrow - 12-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by AirBorn - 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by mutedlogic - 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Any Instrumentalists/Vocalists? - by musicman2229 - 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM