Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relationship issues.. Sigh..
I and my partner have very little in common. I like to hike, hunt, camp - he likes to shop, shop and um I think shop. No he has other interests, comic collection, and 'stuff'.

He has a sense of fashion and color. Me - I firmly believe plaid is the only color people need to wear. Plaid is a color - right? :tongue:

He doesn't cook, doesn't eat veg - which is a true waste since I raise so much veg in the garden - the garden he hasn't so much as stepped in for the past 5 years, and then it was to get the dog out of the sweet potato patch....

He is is slob, I am OCD in my neat for tidiness.... His desk is groaning under a load of crap, my desk only has the keyboard, mouse, monitor, cup of pens and pencils and my coffee cup.

I am an avid reader, he loathes books - instead he wants to always watch TV, or just have the damn thing on for noise since he will turn it on then go on his computer, put on his head phones to watch music videos...

He likes to travel, I'm a homebody. He has gone to several places - by himself or with his girlfriend(s). He and his number one girlfriend are planning on a 30 day cruise trip to some god awful foreign country, I think Brittan - whatever, I wouldn't be got dead traveling to a place where they don't speak proper English :tongue:

Despite all of these differences, and so little in common, we actually get along and have been together for now 15 years. We actually compliment each other in many ways.

Here is the catch, We are both willing to compromise and step out of our comfort zones a little. Thus we did take the road trip across half of the USA. He will go camping occasionally with me. Granted that means renting a cabin... close enough.

We have a quite life. We rarely argue, and except for the year from hell, we don't actually fight. We are both comfortable where we are at together, we both know that the other will be there when needed and we also know that we can be who we are without the other getting all in our face and jealous - for instance that cruise ship he plans on being on will have other gays on it, I am secure enough to know he won't mess around.

We are content, which is far more important that the pursuit of constant happiness.

What I am saying is that two people can work well with each other and actually have a relationship and share very little in common. To the point where they take separate vacations.

The key is to let the other be themselves and to do what they want and to take some minor interest and to be willing to go to the game, or go hunting, or even go to the store. I get my hair 'done' not just cut. We go to his stylist instead of my going to a Barber shop as I used to. It is one of our many small packets of time together. I compromised with little complaint. Sharing these little things is more important in many ways than sharing the big stuff.

At the end of the day we both know that the other will be there.

Messages In This Thread
Relationship issues.. Sigh.. - by MidgetGem - 02-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Relationship issues.. Sigh.. - by pellaz - 02-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Relationship issues.. Sigh.. - by Maverick - 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Relationship issues.. Sigh.. - by Bowyn Aerrow - 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Relationship issues.. Sigh.. - by Nick9 - 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM