Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissertation / Thesis Stress HELP!
Hello guys,

I'm currently having a bit of a crisis. I'm in the process of writing my dissertation / thesis and I am ridiculously stressed. My whole project is 6000 - 7000 words in length and is due on the 1st of May and I'm immensely worried as the first draft for it is due April 5th. Basically I only have two sections of it left to do along with the appendix and I'm just not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

So far I have written;

Introduction/literature review = 2000 words (mine is 2100)
Methods = 1000 words (mine is 1100)
Results = (as much as is needed but within 1000 words) (well on the way with this)
Discussion (2000 words) (needs doing)
References (ongoing process) (I have 32 already)
Appendix (ongoing process) (up to date with report)

Basically I have the results and discussion section to do and that's it but I'm so stressed about it, in my guide it says the draft results section has to be in by march 19th then the whole thing by April. I'm just so stressed that they changed the deadline for the first draft, it makes me want to cry because I am up to date. :frown: The tutor says I'm ahead but I don't feel like I am, I was supposed to have next week off and I'm planning in doing 8:30am - 5:30pm to get it done because I am going crazy.

I was talking to friends doing the same topic as my thesis and they only have 300 words of the introduction actually done and I have seen their work too. I have no other assignments to do but this one (cause I did them all at the start of the semester). I'm just in a rut and don't know where I stand or what to do.

Cheers,

A very stressed Mrk2010 :confused:

Mrk I would focus on getting the results section done first since the deadline for that is sooner than the whole 1st rough draft. Try not to stress out too much about it, it's still a rough draft. I've found from experience that stressing out about papers or projects tends to obscure my ability to think and get things done. Based on what you have said, it seems as though your on a good pace, even though you don't believe so. Having a week off can be a blessing or a curse depending on how well you use that time, so use it wisely but don't forget to have some fun too.
Things will work out Wink

Lunar Wrote:Mrk I would focus on getting the results section done first since the deadline for that is sooner than the whole 1st rough draft. Try not to stress out too much about it, it's still a rough draft. I've found from experience that stressing out about papers or projects tends to obscure my ability to think and get things done. Based on what you have said, it seems as though your on a good pace, even though you don't believe so. Having a week off can be a blessing or a curse depending on how well you use that time, so use it wisely but don't forget to have some fun too.
Things will work out Wink

Thanks, its a microbiology project literally all my results section is, is colour observations and tables and picture and stating what the pictures show, (also pictures of PCR and DNA analysis on agarose gels) I noticed you have a science background lunar so thought I'd just say what it is. I'm thinking maybe I could get it done this week maybe as I have no other assingmnets for the rest of the year. mmmmm its so scary a dissertation

Against stress : Do some meditations ... 15 minutes ...a few times a day helps a lot....

Drink 3 cups of a mix equal parts of St. Johns Wort, Melissa herb, hop cones - tea a day
1 - 2 Teaspoons / Cup of water / 5 Minutes

+

Aromalamp ( with candle ) : 1 Teaspoon rosemary herbs + water .... the steam makes a clear and open mind and is very effective against stress

mrk2010 Wrote:Thanks, its a microbiology project literally all my results section is, is colour observations and tables and picture and stating what the pictures show, (also pictures of PCR and DNA analysis on agarose gels) I noticed you have a science background lunar so thought I'd just say what it is. I'm thinking maybe I could get it done this week maybe as I have no other assingmnets for the rest of the year. mmmmm its so scary a dissertation

It's definitely a lot of work but your determination will pay off. I'm really jealous Supergrin I've never had hands on experience with PCR and DNA analysis. We learned the theory behind it in genetics and microbiology at the university but that was about it. Are you using E. coli for PCR? I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science. I'm really enjoying it but it can be difficult and stressful at times.

Lunar Wrote:It's definitely a lot of work but your determination will pay off. I'm really jealous Supergrin I've never had hands on experience with PCR and DNA analysis. We learned the theory behind it in genetics and microbiology at the university but that was about it. Are you using E. coli for PCR? I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science. I'm really enjoying it but it can be difficult and stressful at times.

Im using unknown actinomycetes (soil bacteria), so I don't know what they are lol so I have no idea if the bacteria I have havent been discovered before or not. We are also going to test the 16S sequence hopefully but we don't really know if we are doing that. I'm ok writing my discussion as I have the papers its just the results eventhough I have all the data and stuff.

mrk2010 Wrote:Im using unknown actinomycetes (soil bacteria), so I don't know what they are lol so I have no idea if the bacteria I have havent been discovered before or not. We are also going to test the 16S sequence hopefully but we don't really know if we are doing that. I'm ok writing my discussion as I have the papers its just the results eventhough I have all the data and stuff.

You could have a new species :biggrin: Sounds very interesting.
Good Luck with the project

Lunar Wrote:You could have a new species :biggrin: Sounds very interesting.
Good Luck with the project

Yeah it is kind of, :-), just sat down and made a plan of what needs doing, to be fair I am in good standing with this. Most people haven't even finished their first section, so I take that as a positive. So the verdict is, I'm buckled up for a busy week in the library when in fact it should be my week off lol

Mrk if your doing 830 till 530 this is your time scale

Begin shift at 830 work till 1030 take a 15 minute break and then at 1045 commence again... At 1300 take some lunch and at 1400 resume... At 1630 take another break till 1645 and resume work until 530... No excuses mister as you need time to ME time as well as uni time

Kindest regards

zeon x

A bit of an update, I got my feedback for my draft and my supervisor liked it. :-) the introduction and literature review was untouched along with the discussion. :-) the methods and results were changed but it was stuff like include labels or swap this round. I'm so relieved that she liked it cause my supervisor is critical but considering all of her project students achieved a 1st class project, I should take it with a pinch of salt and do what she says. Sometimes I wish I had more confidence in myself, then I wouldn't get as worried.