Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tonsillitis?
So lately my tonsils and that dangly thing the uvula or whatever have been swelling up, scratchy and irritating me so much I'm not sure if it's tonsillitis or not because I don't have any of the other symptoms, this has been going on for three/four days now and hasn't gotten any better but it isn't seriously bad as I can still eat/drink/talk & breathe

Has anyone else here had it or can anyone offer advice? been taking ibuprofen to take away the swelling, gargling with salt water twice daily and drinking tea with honey in it, and the occasional cold drink but it doesnt seem to make any difference :frown::confused:

Warm salty water gargle every 2-3 hours.

Heat is not good for inflamation or infection, so you might want to lay off the tea, perhaps try a warm honey & Lemon drink, fresh squeezed lemons are best.

Drink plenty of water and rest so your body can fight the inflamation or infection.

Thanks dfiant will try what you have said - minus the lemon! makes me throw up :redface: just the odd taste it has.

Will try some slightly cooler solutions, I've found that some icy cold tropicana pineapple juice has worked wonders on it, but it seems to flare up at night and is terrible in the morning!

MidgetGem Wrote:So lately my tonsils and that dangly thing the uvula or whatever have been swelling up, scratchy and irritating me so much I'm not sure if it's tonsillitis or not because I don't have any of the other symptoms, this has been going on for three/four days now and hasn't gotten any better but it isn't seriously bad as I can still eat/drink/talk & breathe

Has anyone else here had it or can anyone offer advice? been taking ibuprofen to take away the swelling, gargling with salt water twice daily and drinking tea with honey in it, and the occasional cold drink but it doesnt seem to make any difference :frown::confused:

I frequently get swelling of my uvula and it touches my tongue and its the most awful feeling as you can't swallow properly, sometimes it even feels like its choking you. The best thing I can suggest and it may sound old fashioned but gargle with salt water and drink plenty of water. It does sound a lot like uvulitis which can be caused by an oncoming infection such as flu or even a cold. Also Midget do you snore? Or have you been told you snore? If you are a hefty scorer this can irritate your uvula and gives you the sorts of symptoms you are talking about.

Hmm sounds like it could be along those lines, I don't snore thankfully - I've not long gotten over a cold but have had a sniffy nose lately, just hope it isn't tonsillitis or even uvulitis as I don't fancy a trip to the doctors to resolve it, have been gargling salt water but it's awful!

You don't snore? are you sure, have you sat up all night to check?

Hi midge there is not much more I can add here.
One thing though ,Both my boys suffered from tonsils , there is one sure way to tell.
Camel breath , I always knew they were heading for an episode,

Now regarding Uvulitis, It is not something to ignore , my eldest, granddaughter suffers from it ,due to allergies , her throat can close up very quickly, I always have Phenergan (promethazine) in the house .

It really does work wonders and it also comes in liquid form.

Rainbowmum Wrote:Hi midge there is not much more I can add here.
One thing though ,Both my boys suffered from tonsils , there is one sure way to tell.
Camel breath , I always knew they were heading for an episode,

Now regarding Uvulitis, It is not something to ignore , my eldest, granddaughter suffers from it ,due to allergies , her throat can close up very quickly, I always have Phenergan (promethazine) in the house .

It really does work wonders and it also comes in liquid form.

See I've been getting this quite a lot lately whenever I fall asleep up right in the chair. I know I snore and when I wake up it feels more dangly and I find my saliva harder to swallow, but it always puts itself right. Mmmm I don't know if a trip to the doctors is in order.

3 Tablespoons Sage ( Salvia off. )
1 Tablespoon Blood-root ( potentilla erecta )

+

500 ml COLD water.... let stand over night ( min 8 hours )

warm up till ca. 75 - 80 °C

filter

gargle with this tea all 3 hours 3 - 5 minutes ( cold - room temperatue )

This tea has a very high percentage tannic acid and helps in a few hours

'Fraid i don't remember what it's like having tonsillitis, or tonsils for that matter.:redface:

I had to have them removed when i was around 3 or 4 years old. I almost always had some illness back then.Rolleyes
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so