Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was she a scammer or a fool?
While doing some shopping for my partner I stopped in a liquor store to get her a bottle of B&B brandy, but instead of being rung up for 30-something dollars I was charged $93. When I pointed out the price the lady ringing me up said it was also for the vodka my boyfriend took as he said he was stepping out for a smoke and that I'd pay for it with mine. I told her I didn't have a boyfriend and she said she saw us talking to each other (I stood beside a couple of men while looking but I don't think for more than 15 seconds each and I didn't talk to anyone). She then got pleading saying she needed her job and I said I needed to stay within a budget and she then threatened to call the cops on me and I said, "Let's start with talking to your manager." To that she said he was out to lunch (being about 12:30 that was possible) and then refused to sell me the brandy unless I paid for the vodka so I left and plan to get it elsewhere.

On the way home I marveled at her stupidity to be scammed so easily and wondered if she'd get busted for a stolen bottle of vodka. And then I got to wondering, what if she was the scammer instead of the mark: first, $60 seems excessive for a bottle of vodka (though I just did a netsearch and the price is plausible--barely), she said she saw me talking to someone when she most definitely did not (though that may have been a mistake or a lie of desperation, but I'd think if she was told I'd pay for it she'd make REAL sure first, like with calling out to me to verify), she expertly shifted gears in trying to guilt me into paying for to trying to intimidate me into paying, and she didn't say anything until she saw me pull out a roll of $20 in preparation to pay (rather than a credit card). Of course I'd demand a receipt but maybe she hoped to trash it before I could demand it and say "oops" or she was just interested in covering the said bottle of vodka (though if she was going to take it she wouldn't have a receipt for herself). And, of course, just how stupid can you be?

If she just had a moment of epic stupidity then as annoyed as I am over the inconvenience I still don't want her to lose her job, and hope she learns better sense from the experience.

OTOH, if she was trying to scam me then she's trying to scam others and that I think I should report her...what do you think?

ETA: I meant for the poll to close on May 1, I'm not sure why it's saying Apr 17...

Management need to know what is going on. If it is a scam they can deal with it appropriately. As a retail amanger I would want to know my staff are doing the right thing and my teams service is second to none and that my good staff aren't being tarnished by one bad apple.

If it is outright theft, I would also want to know so I could improve security.

Report it so management can investigate.

what if she was the scammer instead of the mark

BINGO!

After working in bars for so long...and probably I was predispositioned for it a bit anyway...I developed a strong instinct for this kind of stuff. I knew two sentences into your story she was the scammer....before I even read that part.

OTOH, if she was trying to scam me then she's trying to scam others and that I think I should report her...what do you think?

Report her

I think she is both a scammer and a fool. It sounds to me she tried to pull a fast one but it backfired. The question is how many people she has tried this on already before you. I agree with dfiant & east she should be reported.

Honestly Pix ,management really needs to know about this.
Who knows how many others she has done this to.
The way she was pleading for her job has me rather suspicious.

Ok, thanks, I'll report her. I'll be sure to show up in person to be sure I really get the manager.

Besides, I'd hate to have to go to another liquor store. This one is right by Safeway so I can easily pick up anything I need there while doing other shopping (and thus save time if I'm using public transportation or on gas if I'm being driven). That also makes it easier for me to walk in during a time that the manager will be available (and hopefully someone other than her at the register).

Expensive vodka! :eek:

monk Wrote:Expensive vodka! :eek:

It is indeed comrade

it sounds like she was trying to cover for someone she knew that stole a bottle or trying to get you to pay for her vodka.

I talked to her boss today. The guy knew right away who I was talking about as he said I wasn't the first to complain about her and says this will be her last week working there as he'd already started the paperwork in firing her before I said anything to him.