Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grr!!! Why are people such jerks (humerous rant)
So about an hour ago, my friend and I had a hankering for some hot, warm beef (get yer mind out of the gutter perv....or should I get out of gutter....mind....nasty...I confused)

Anyway, we head up to Burger King to grab a quick snack, and we notice a homeless man outside holding a sign which states "lost job, need $$$ for food"

I don't normally give money to the homeless, knowing all too well they usually spend it on drugs, but if they truly look down on their luck, I'll buy them a meal so they can eat something at least.

We order two Whopppers, a large fry and a large soda and present it to the man, thinking we were doing our good deed for the day.

The guy flips out, curses seven shades of hell, and throws the soda at my friend and the hamburgers at me.....what the hell? I don't know if he thought we were looking down on him or something...but it took me for a complete surprise. :eek:

Just wanted to share a odd experience with the forum. Anyone else have similar stories?

do not thought about unfriendly people ... have you tried to help, that counts

maybe he was a vegetarian with allergy against pure water :biggrin::biggrin:

You dared to hand him a non-Kosher meal.

Maybe he's Vegetarian?

Or maybe you insulted him like so many other 'good-hearted' people do by making choices for him. While you may not have said it, handing him food over cash may have told him what he has heard by most likely many:

"I won't give you money because you can't take care of yourself/ because you might get drunk/ because you might get drugs."

Or maybe he wanted $5.00 for a rock...

The choice of what he does with $$$ is not up to you. He asked for cash - for whatever purpose. Either slip him a dollar or two or walk on. Don't presume to make life choices for him.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You dared to hand him a non-Kosher meal.

Maybe he's Vegetarian?

Or maybe you insulted him like so many other 'good-hearted' people do by making choices for him. While you may not have said it, handing him food over cash may have told him what he has heard by most likely many:

"I won't give you money because you can't take care of yourself/ because you might get drunk/ because you might get drugs."

Or maybe he wanted $5.00 for a rock...

The choice of what he does with $$$ is not up to you. He asked for cash - for whatever purpose. Either slip him a dollar or two or walk on. Don't presume to make life choices for him.

I suppose that's true....I meant no ill intentions however.

Man...now I feel like an asshole.

I spend alot of time and effort helping homeless people ...mostly one on one...and the sad thing is many are mentally ill which in large part contributes to their state...we do a horrible job of caring for the mentally ill in this country.

Which brings me to my mini rant....I hate Ronald Reagan's guts...I see red when I think of that phony grin of his...he shut down the facilities we had in California and let the mentally ill people "tickle down" into the streets...insisting someone would take care of them. So many died as having been formerly institutionalized they had no idea how to survive. It was heartbreaking to watch. By God I hate that man and I rarely "hate" anybody. (I also think he is responsible for AIDS so my hatred is deep...when people mention that Satan will one day rule I think they missed him...he has already been hereWink )

Back to the guy...my guess is that he may have been paranoid and/or schizophrenic and mistrustful of any food given to him...I know that can be shocking when that happens so please forgive yourself as your intention was compassionate and kind. No need to feel like an asshole. Bighug

hahaha. I never give anything to homeless people unless they are asking for food directly. Not money or anything, cause then it usually turns out like your situation.
Or maybe he was just super happy and that's his way of expressing it? Not a very logical way, but that would explain why he doesn't have a job. lol

No...it was a mistake to even do anything.

I'm sorry...but I somewhat take offense at Bowyn's assumptions that I was trying to dictate his life. That thought never even crossed my mind. You try to do something nice for someone anymore, and everyone shits on you.

*sigh* I better just go have a cigarette and cool down...

wintermoon Wrote:I suppose that's true....I meant no ill intentions however.

I'm pretty certain the crystal ball said you are not an asshole.

Instead you are a good guy, heart in the right place.

Frankly I never knew where the homeless mind is/was until I started working in homeless shelters and working with homeless on the street. THEN I discovered that most actually do use the money for more things than food:

And not always drink and alcohol, shoes, pants, socks - on good days they even rent a room at the local flea bag hotel for a shower. Change for the laundry mat, smokes.

Many flat refuse to go to a homeless shelter because those places are really scary places to be in. Yes things like rape, assault, and other crimes do take place. Even the ones with lots of staff see crime.

On top of that, in many places there is a lottery. They have only 100 beds and 200+ people putting in their name for a cot, shower and hot meal. I hear from one of my old friends that its closer to 1000 people lining up for 100 beds.

Beds are prioritized, infirm and women and children get beds before men do.

Kids (late teens) are terrified of homeless shelters - not so much for the crime aspect as they are terrified that the CPS will be called and they will be thrown into foster-care or sent back to their parents - which for many homeless teens that means being sent back to an abusive situation.

I'm not going to lie and say they don't use the money for tobacco, alcohol and drugs - many do - but many more use it to get shaving gear, cloths from the thrift store and various other things that are not listed on their signs.

wintermoon Wrote:No...it was a mistake to even do anything.

I'm sorry...but I somewhat take offense at Bowyn's assumptions that I was trying to dictate his life. That thought never even crossed my mind. You try to do something nice for someone anymore, and everyone shits on you.

*sigh* I better just go have a cigarette and cool down...

I'm sorry if my post read that way. I was trying to put it to you from his perspective - or how he could take it.

wintermoon Wrote:I suppose that's true....I meant no ill intentions however.

You shouldn't. Bighug