Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disappointed
ok, so I've been wondering what others have been through that graduated with a degree and went job hunting for the first time. I've been looking around and I feel kind of disappointed with the openings I've found. I have a bachelor degree in electrical engineering and most of the openings that have been sent my way are for customer service jobs or jobs that I could have gotten without the degree.

don't get me wrong they're good jobs and pay well, I just thought I would be doing something closely related to my degree. part of why I choose this field is because I wanted to make or repair stuff, and it feels like all the years of studying would be in vain if I got a job I qualified for before I decided to go to college.

so I was wondering what everyone else went though after college, did you immediately end up at a job you felt satisfied with or did you have to look for a while?

so location is not important to you?

give it some time. rember to get an indeed, linke-in accounts, use craigslist too. layout, simulation, fpga and embedded skills are nice.

engineering; is better than some careers, not as good as some.

I used to have a neighbor who was "overqualified" because of her degree and couldn't get hired anywhere because the jobs available thought she would get "bored" and leave. McDonalds hired her temporarily, but they'll hire anyone for a short while. Meanwhile the jobs she was qualified for weren't available, which sucked given her massive debt from her college loans...

Pix Wrote:I used to have a neighbor who was "overqualified" because of her degree and couldn't get hired anywhere because the jobs available thought she would get "bored" and leave. McDonalds hired her temporarily, but they'll hire anyone for a short while. Meanwhile the jobs she was qualified for weren't available, which sucked given her massive debt from her college loans...

yea that's what I'm afraid of, and I was planing on going back for my masters.

I don't mind moving a state over but I kind of want to stay near home, especially if my family takes my coming out well. I'm just tired of hearing about people with the same degree as me and even my former classmates finding awesome jobs.

Ceez, have you tried this job search before?

http://www.careerbuilder.com/

Another thing, do you register yourself to a recruitment firm? I didn't register but a recruitment firm called Volt International found me. They assisted me to get the job that I have right now. I had to go through 5 interview sessions though (Three sessions with Volt and 2 with the company that I'm working with. Oh yeah, I was given 'fake' assignments and had to present mock ups too).

Check out Kelly Services.

http://www.kellyservices.com/web/global/..._main.html

Quote:so I was wondering what everyone else went though after college, did you immediately end up at a job you felt satisfied with or did you have to look for a while?

My current job is my 'dream job'. I previously worked for a small video production, which was good enough for gaining knowledge, experience and sharpening up my customer service skill. First job usually is not that pretty. You'll find your dream job on the second or third.

ceez Wrote:... so I was wondering what everyone else went though after college ...
sorry Ceez, its going to take a while so keep those resumes out there, stay active and be able to move quick if you get a interview. Be willing to relocate, which i suspect you want to do anyways. Seattle, Austin, Denver, Atlanta are very nice cities. Lots of CA jobs but higher cost of living. NYC just because of its size.

Electrical Engineering is fairly specialized and you cant compare it to the average situation. Not a lot of employment out there, we lost the war on terror.

Well Ceez, the problem is you are looking for work in the USA.

All of those Jobs have been moved to places like Malaysia, India, China....

ceez Wrote:yea that's what I'm afraid of, and I was planing on going back for my masters.

I don't mind moving a state over but I kind of want to stay near home, especially if my family takes my coming out well. I'm just tired of hearing about people with the same degree as me and even my former classmates finding awesome jobs.

I'm in a different area of engineering but was pretty much told from the beginning I would at least need my Masters.

Did you try this site?

Good luck!

eta: This is also why I won't give up my grass cutting/yard work for my little old ladies any time soon! :biggrin:

thanks guys, I have made profiles with careerbuilder and monster, and last night I set one up with a recruitment firm. I forgot to mention I had an interview today but it's just for a part time position so I could go back for my masters if I get it but I would really really like to find a full-time position so I can be financially independent.

Ceez

friends of mine have had great luck with snagajob.com as well. You might want to try there too

Best of luck to you! I know how rough it can be Confusedmile: