Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
we ARE NOT ten percent
over the weekend there was an article circulating in the news about how statistically the percentage of gays in the population are counted and how the straight population looks at this:
-the number of gays is much lower than we think, even in the larger cities.
-the straight population is bad at math and over estimates the number of gays in the population by way over amounts.
-they may see us as a threat and demonize us because surly the 2-5% of gays is not going to change anything. For example; We cant change the institution of marriage we dont have the numbers.
-yes we are counting the current gay population and not the closet cases. Lets wait 10years for them to come out too.
-no wonders i cant find a date.

reference:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/03...65961.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...re/257753/

Personally I've always thought the 10% thing they came up with seemed high

and LOL I would count as one of those 'closet cases' ..

I don't see how they could ever determine an accurate number. Especially from a world population study.

72jay Wrote:Personally I've always thought the 10% thing they came up with seemed high

and LOL I would count as one of those 'closet cases' ..

Same, I have always thought that 2% is closer to accurate.

Also does this study take into account about how many people have had a gay experience too? Sexuality isn't always as clean cut.

mrk2010 Wrote:Also does this study take into account about how many people have had a gay experience too? Sexuality isn't always as clean cut.
The article, read it, does mention this some. Not enough tho. All this is difficult to measure. We really NOT interested in all of gods creations, just the gays who are out.

This is interesting on two points:
- the straights have demonized the gay agenda into thinking we are >25% of the population
- we think ourselves as a 10% minority. The percentage of blacks in the N American population is 12%. and look how long they had to fight for equality. Women are ~50% and their sufferance was not easy. We have a looong road ahead.

expectations on finding a date is lo, the process more difficult, this may seem hilarious but think about it in a practical sense. The straights, the sexes dress, look, act different. How is your gay-dar at best accurate 60% of the time or do you just crush on the first handsome man you see, straight or gay.

pellaz Wrote:-no wonders i cant find a date.

Amen :biggrin: .
~
I think it would be hard to determine accurate percentages, because there's so many factors.

Also, do they even count people like myself on small islands/remote countries, because[and I don't want to offend] it seems to me, like they only focus these things on major countries like America and Europe and say; "yep, we counted and the world's population of gays is xx%" without even really taking into account how many gay people there actually are in small communities/countries.

I don't blame them though, cause it's probably hard work, but I don't appreciate being left out either. Bump

It IS actually 10-12 percent ARE gay, lesbian or Bi BUT only maybe 5-7 IDENTIFY as gay, lesbian or Bi.

BabyPolarBear Wrote:It IS actually 10-12 percent ARE gay, lesbian or Bi BUT only maybe 5-7 IDENTIFY as gay, lesbian or Bi.
if they dont identify:
-they dont count if you cant date em

Actually I believe 10% had homosexual experiences, 1% are homosexual.