Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad electrocution
Hey guys,

Well basically I think my iPad is electrocuting me, the other day when it was plugged it it was humming and vibrating when I touched it. Surely this can't be safe? This has also happened to my friend as he has one. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

hey,
by the sounds of it it definately sounds faulty however i would imagen its not electrocuting you what it is doing is giving off electromagitisms like when u squeeze a cheap office lamp and get the vibrations... If it was giving you shocks i doubt you would bother with it... For example stick your thumb over the end of a super nintendo power pack your understand what i mean x

Sometimes it stings though, a few people have said the same thing happened to them.

sounds like theres a current touching the pad and the tremors your getting means it is a faulty product but it isnt eletrocuting you as its a sting and not a shock best thing

return to shop with it x

Erm a lot of other people I know are getting the same thing, I don't think it can be faulty in them all

user err??

I don't think we can all be doing something wrong lol

apple Inc. usually covers up the bad but if you go into their brick/mortar shop they might update your hardware.
Setup an appointment.
Do some research first:
-There was some stuff on macrumors.com/, the post dates started 2010, peaked 2011 and still some this year. Another source here is mac-forums.com/forums/

you already know:
-if your country specific power receptacle allows you can rotate the charger brick; see if that changes the shock factor
-use a apple charger and cable. Their cable is not made that great so go to the store with an intact cable

Interesting experiment;
put a current meter between the offending apple appliance and a cold water pipe. need >5ma of current to be able to feel a shock, start off with the highest current setting. Either metal surfaces might have a insulating enaminal clear coat or oxide on it.

Sorry, but i thought the kind of electrocution described here is only possible from an AC power source, not DC like what should be coursing through the iPad.:confused:

I understand you have it plugged into an AC current, but it should be converted to DC in the iPad.

Forget it, i probably have no idea what i'm talking about.:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:... I understand you have it plugged into an AC current, but it should be converted to DC in the iPad ...
I am thinking this only happens when the devices are plugged in with their AC adapter brick. The brick is defective and lost its isolation from the AC power line. sorta maybeBiglaugh