Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birds in your garden
I've always enjoyed sharing the garden with the bird life. I love watching nest building, seeing the rituals and skills involved, the egg sitting, taking it in turns to sit while the partner goes off to eat, often bringing back snacks to their mate, the chicks emerging , growing, learning skills and watching the care the parents give.

I've had many special moments getting up close and personal with some.
I once spent ½ a day helping a turtle-dove collect sticks from the garden to build a nest. I'd trimmed shrubs and thrown them on the lawn to mow over for mulch when I noticed it was picking some up and saw the spot in a tree where his mate was building her nest. I'd pick out a few suitable sized twigs, and stand back while he sorted through what he wanted, them take them to the missus, who'd be equally critical of which ones she wanted! Later watching them bring the chicks to the birdbath and show them off!

In summer I water the garden at dusk, and often have up to 20 birds sit in a shrub waiting for me spray them, to cool off, and squawking to get more attention!

My favourites are Bower Birds, and the Spangled Drongo, both are seasonal and migrate north during winter. It's a buzz seeing them arrive in Spring, ...it reminds me of Katherine Hepburn in 'On Golden pond', quivering “...the loons, the loons !” LOL

I've listed over 60 species, but I only count the ones in the garden. https://sites.google.com/site/featheredvisitors/
A recent birdwatchers group near here, but closer to the coast, spotted 210 species in a weekend.

What birds do you have in your garden?

We get quiet a few, some I have never seen before, but then again I live a stones throw from Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary (Formerly Currumbin Bird Sanctuary)

Here mostly Cardinals and Blue Jays, a few sparrows, back birds, blue birds and orioles too then humming birds at the feeders I put out for them. Once in a while a cattle egret or hawk comes around.

Starlings, pigeons, rooks and the occasional magpie. Sparrows have all but disappeared.

I have birds... They have feathers and they fly... mostly....

I have no idea what the species names are. I know I have a minor flock of California Raven who roost over my house in the 'new' Oak tree. I also have a barn owl that roosts I think in the olive tree. I know its sound. We have either doves or pigeons, a few are snow white, the rest are 'mixed' colored.

Then we have scores of tiny greyish birds, blue birds, black and white birds, in spring I have to keep the heron out of the koi pond (big white birds). Every midsummer the Pea hen from down the road a bit comes and roots in out trees, terrorizes the York/Schnauzer mix we have.

When the leaves fall out of the trees I can look up and see all sorts of nests. I suspect I have a hawk or an Eagle roosting in the Oak Tree by the river bank edge. Its a huge nest way up at the top of the tree.

With the river out back we get lots of migrating water fowl, geese, ducks, herons, egrets.

This 2 acres is planted mostly in trees. Thus I live pretty much in a woodlands. The 'undergrowth' is by and large native flowering species, which my neighbors call weeds. lol

I water the driveway once a week in summer and that brings out the birds who dance and play in the puddles. With mulberry tree(s), black berries, ancient grapevines and nut trees I get a whole slew of critters who dine and dash.... If I ever got to the point were I wanted to harvest everything for myself I most likely could feed a few families with nuts and berries. I let the critters have as much as they want, I do not need much.

I've had heron problems with the fish pond too Bowyn! I used to enjoy watching them catching skinks around the garden till they started on the goldfish. My one koi is too big ( or too quick), but despite building 'rock caves', and a mesh covering for protection, I've lost all the goldfish recently and its turned into a frog pond.

I love that I found this thread the day after I had what I consider to be a profound dream about one of my favorite birds the king fisher

Ooooh!

At home we get Blue tits, Great tits, Coal tits, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Sparrows, Black Birds, Robins, Wrens, Collared Dove, Wood Pidgeon, Goldcrests, Thrush, Dunnock aaand once or twice Long-tailed Tits, which are super cute! They look like fluff balls Tongue

Picsawashburn Wrote:I love that I found this thread the day after I had what I consider to be a profound dream about one of my favorite birds the king fisher

Well glad you found it Picsawashburn, sounds like a good dream:-)

I have a soft spot for them too, and often get Sacred Kingfishers in the garden. They are smaller with bright blue markings and no top-notch/crest. I think you have the Belted Kingfisher there?
Kookaburras are our best known kingfishers here, and can be a pain 'laughing' before sunrise! I never get the joke!
I went looking for a kookaburra call on You Tube and ironically the best example I found is this, a Lyre Bird doing a great imitation.

Aren't they amazing!

I've got a 'thing' going on with magpies at the moment :-)
I walk my dog each morning to a park nearby, and there's always a few on the ground.
I chirp at them and they chirp back, with recognition, and have no fear of either of us.
A few months ago, when they were nesting, a guy rushed up to me looking stressed and asked if the birds were attacking me, I said no, and that they were used to me. He embarrassedly asked if he could walk with me, as they kept swooping on him and had pecked his head. They of course left us alone. :biggrin:

Roxy, with all those tits around, megumi's shouldn't scare you Rofl