Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair of the dog : )
This is more like crafts or hobbies than art, but I wanted to share something I got into because of my shaggy dog Smile

I started needle-felting as I'd saved a heap of my dog's hair, from his first brush after being washed. He sheds so much 'wool', which feels like mohair, so I wanted to try to make something with it.

I first tried wet felting, using soap and agitation, but then discovered 'Dry Needle Felting' on You Tube.
The process is amazing, as its all done with needles ( like sewing needles), that have tiny barbs on the end, which interlock the fibres.

This page shows a few I've done- https://sites.google.com/site/myfeltworks/
I'm only a novice, it's very time consuming, but a lot of fun to learn.

Anyone else tried felting? Any other crafts or hobbies to share?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's quite impressive, I'd never have thought create things with dog hair :p

I can't get over the fine detail as they are so small .( noticed the match stick.)
Incredible.

I love knitting, embroidering, tapestry and crochet , when my sister and I get together , we will often make beautiful edgings on washers ,hand towels and bath-towels.
Usually something we do for wedding or births.

All of our babies and their babies have come home in hand made baby blankets.
At the moment we are involved in Kas care we also make baby beanies for local hospitals.

They are always received with love ,it warms my heart to welcome a child into the world with love.

My sister had a Saint Bernard a while back. The thing shed so much I thought of finding out how to make yarn.

They are amazing! Thumbgrin

Thats so cool! Looks like a lot of work and patience...I wanna have a go~ How long does it take you to make one?

I've dabbled in craft stuff since I was a kid, and done things like embossing copper, stained glass, macrame, painting, sketching. In my 30's I learned how to make hats, and to sew, and used to make most of my own clothes, patterns and all, but I packed the machine away a few years ago and my 'workroom' has morphed into my 'shed', with garden power tools and tins of paint!

Kas care looks worthwhile mum. They also show how to felt jumpers to make patchwork.
My mum used to knit jumpers for me, but when she had grandkids come along, I didn't stand a chance, so I learned how to knit 'em myself. I had a neighbour next door to run to when I dropped a stitch lol, but the hardest thing was trying to decipher patten books. It's like they're in a different dialect! I was chuffed when I got to knitting cables woo hoo!
I used to knit a jumper every winter, and remember feeling strange to watch T.V. without knitting. :-)
I still wear a jumper I made about 25 years ago. Now so tatty I wouldn't leave the house in it, but so comfy I can't throw out.

I hope to get back into felting when I get house renovations and painting done. A good thing about crafts is when you start to get better at it and feel a sense of achievement. A challenge to stretch yourself and keep improving. It becomes quite absorbing.

A shame they take so long to make, as it makes them too labour intensive to be able to sell. But that's the case most craft or hobby things I guess. It'd be a bit more incentive to at least get something back to buy more materials.

Roxy Wrote:Thats so cool! Looks like a lot of work and patience...I wanna have a go~ How long does it take you to make one?

Roxy, they take about 20 hours to make. It does take a lot of work and patience, but great fun.
Take a look at these links which explain it more. They don't need to be as complicated, and you could start with fun critters Smile
This one is a bit tedious to watch, but shows basics

And this shows how tedious it can be,

and how the characters start to 'come to life'.

I bought this DVD, and think it is excellent, but you can search “needle felting” on You Tube, and find heaps to get you started.

AquarianDragon Wrote:Roxy, they take about 20 hours to make. It does take a lot of work and patience, but great fun.
Take a look at these links which explain it more. They don't need to be as complicated, and you could start with fun critters Smile
This one is a bit tedious to watch, but shows basics

And this shows how tedious it can be,

and how the characters start to 'come to life'.

I bought this DVD, and think it is excellent, but you can search “needle felting” on You Tube, and find heaps to get you started.

20 hours...OMG thats so much skill and dedication! Thank you so much! I checked out those links too thank you so much for those! Right now I have soooo much time on my hands I'd love to give this a go!

those are pretty cool!