Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hours to stop Uganda's horrific anti-gay law
Sign the petitions :

http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_gay_death_law/?vc

http://www.allout.org/uganda-now

Forgive my ignorance, fenris, but are these sites legitimate legislation, or are they only after my information?

Counselor Wrote:Forgive my ignorance, fenris, but are these sites legitimate legislation, or are they only after my information?

They are both petition-sites... All-out has reached that a law against human rights was stopped last year ...

read more

at least they wake up people whats going on in the world.....

Done and shared on social media.

Fingers crossed fen .

As a gay man who lives in Africa (Kenya, bordered by Uganda to the North) Im very aware of the total lack of rights for gay men (and women) here. Life is very cheap (average income is around US$500 a year) and as such the population are pretty much brainwashed by the religious zealots who exploit the situation continually. Its a very "Fire and Brimstone" type religion, which leads to very similar politics.
Im not out to anyone here, and even made special arrangements with my company to ensure that none of the local staff are aware either.
Attacks on gay men are very common, as is entrapment, both by the police and the local thugs who then blackmail and or beat up the guys involved. Kenya is not quite as bad as Uganda - where killings and hangings by lynch mobs are common. In Kenya your likely to get a long prison sentence if caught in the act.

I believe the Uganda lawmakers bill has now dropped the mandatory death penalty...

ObW
x

Signed and shared!

I remember watching a small documentary on Uganda and its views on homosexuality by Scott Mills. I was quite amazed to see that newspapers there actually name and shame people and act like they're the police themselves, and the police were practically allowing them to take charge. The amount of scaremongering done to make people afraid of homosexuality there was/is crazy.

Corsac Wrote:I remember watching a small documentary on Uganda and its views on homosexuality by Scott Mills. I was quite amazed to see that newspapers there actually name and shame people and act like they're the police themselves, and the police were practically allowing them to take charge. The amount of scaremongering done to make people afraid of homosexuality there was/is crazy.

It's not just a Ugandan problem, American evangelicals are involved, some of whom have connections with the Republican party.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...icals.html

fenris Wrote:They are both petition-sites... All-out has reached that a law against human rights was stopped last year ...

read more

at least they wake up people whats going on in the world.....

Thanks, I hope I signed in time...

As well intentioned as this thread may be, what makes anybody think a few signatures can stop the utter barbarians ruling Uganda and the like from doing exactly what they like regarding Gays, when not only have the Western worlds governments failed to change things, but they have the backing of the majority of their people?