Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is circumcision so popular in the US?
I am uncut myself and have never understood why most other Americans put their kids though this ordeal. There are a lot of negative myths that are going on about it and in my case none of them are true. I am just as hygienic down there than circumcised men. I've never had any problems with it not wanting to retract and I've never picked up any sexually transmitted diseases in the 11 years I've been sexually active. I lived in Germany for 3 years and found the same true about all the other men there. So why in America is this surgery so popular?

Probably just a force of habit...or peer pressure

I have no idea..

Personally I think a cut penis is yuk... although I have never actually seen 1 for real Wink

I think it's the religious popularity, plus the hygiene myths and the "he'll look like his father/brother".

Stoopid reasons.

I would say its a mixed thing and not only 1 reason. You have those who do it for religious reasons, and others who do it because of the health benefits which are marginal at best. There may be other reasons but these are definitely 2 of them.

I agree with the marginal at best, I'm uncut, never a problem one in 46 years. Really it is not hard to be hygienic, cut or not.

Partner wise it makes no difference tom me. All but one of my exes has been cut but really if there is a difference, I think it's only for some and, it's minor.

Why do so many do it in the US, religion, hygiene, fear of disease being more likely uncircumcised, tradition.

The fact that the health benefits..I guess being lower risk of infections...is really low is irrelevent. See here in America if something is just POSSIBLY even if it's uncertain..but if it might have even just the TINIEST benefit we go for it.

And I would imagine a cut penis is not necessarily cleaner, but perhaps just easier to clean which also makes it a big plus. You know people don't like to spend too much time cleaning.

Personally I find cut penises to be more attracted but as one who's grown up where circumcision is the norm I would imagine that's why I feel that way and had I grown up elsewhere I would probably think the opposite. Lol

But I guess my grandfather wasn't circumsized and recently circumsized because of health. I don't know exactly what happened or anything because I don't really keep up with my grandpa's genitals but I suppose if you get it done as a baby when you won't remember it it saves you the trouble in the event a health issue does arrive. I guess I can see the positive as a preventive measure.

Although it really isn't fair to mutilate someone's body without their consent.

I think it's just a sticky issue all together~

The consent thing is a big one for me, I may not remember it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't sign my consent form.

Really, having a penis that was mutilated for no reason when I was too young to consent isn't really that much of a problem for me. What really bothers me about it is that now there's always a voice in the back of my mind that says that normal healthy non-mutilated penises look weird and 'other'. A voice that's easy to ignore, but still there. I don't like being told natural isn't natural.

I looked into this issue very seriously when my son was born 15 years ago. I am circumcised, like my father. After doing the research, I chose to leave my son's penis intact.

The American Academy of Pediatrics just changed their policy statement on the subject this year.
Quote:Parents should weigh the health benefits and risks in light of their own religious, cultural, and personal preferences, as the medical benefits alone may not outweigh these other considerations for individual families.
Find the article here if you are interested.

That's a pretty weak statement. The evidence of health benefits is so slight (with some contradictory studies, as well) that the Academy decided it is more appropriate to leave it to parental choice rather than even recommending one way or the other. The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention remains neutral.

Conformity is probably the main reason circumcision is still prevalent in the US. Many parents don't want their boys to feel different in the locker room. We are rapidly approaching 50/50 cut/uncut for newborns here, however.

After weighing the evidence, I came to consider circumcision to be unnecessary genital mutilation. I'm hoping some day my son (and his partner) will thank me.