Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synthetic Marijuana
Family issues warning after teen suffers severe brain damage from synthetic marijuana .
My heart goes out to them.
In pray the police will find a way to stop it being sold.

By Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

HOUSTON -- On December 7th Emily Bauer began to slur her speech, stumble, complain of massive migraine headaches and began to turn violent, psychotic, and too difficult for her frightened family to control.

Her family called for an ambulance to take her to the nearest hospital. But within 24 hours she was being life-flighted from a Cypress-area hospital to the Texas Medical Center, the victim of a massive series of strokes.

She suffered severe brain damage. She was only 16 years old. And the culprit was synthetic marijuana.

“She actually had swelling on her brain that they had to drill into her head to relieve the pressure,” said her father Tommy Bryant. “They didn’t even know if she’d make it through that procedure. But they had to do it.”

Emily has turned 17 since she has been hospitalized at Children’s Memorial Hermann. But doctors warned her family it could be her last birthday. Doctors discovered that Emily’s brain damage was extensive. She was disconnected from life support. Plans were being made to donate her organs if she died. A month later Emily is still alive but she can’t walk, she can’t feed herself, and she is blind. Recently she began to recognize her parents and is able to have limited conversations. But Bryant and his wife have been given no assurances how much of their daughter will ever come back.

“It’s hard,” Bryant told us of the now month-long ordeal. “It literally, the way we’re looking at it now, is we’re gonna re-raise a child. I don’t wish this upon anybody, anybody at all,” he said.

Bryant has since discovered that his daughter and her friends were experimenting with synthetic marijuana brands like Kush and Spice that the teens purchased over the counter at a convenience store near her home. Multiple injuries and deaths across the United States have been linked to the products sold as incense or potpourri in small packets and marked with the disclaimer “not for human consumption.” Lawmakers and municipalities have been struggling for years to outlaw the products and their ingredients.

“Some of the chemicals that we’re reading online that are in these things, I mean I wouldn’t put on my grass,” said Bryant.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse says about 11 percent of high school seniors reported using synthetic marijuana, according to a 2011 survey. And calls about synthetic marijuana to the American Association of Poison Control Centers more than doubled between 2010 and 2011.

Bryant and his family, with their daughter still in the hospital and hoping she can be transferred soon to a physical rehabilitation facility, have started their own Facebook page dedicated to Emily’s story and the dangers of synthetic marijuana. It’s called S.A.F.E. – Synthetics Awareness for Emily.

“If we reach one more kid, a family that doesn’t have to go through this, that doesn’t have to spend hours upon hours, nights upon nights in a hospital not knowing what their kid is going to get back, then I feel like we’ve accomplished one small thing,” he said.

Emily’s family and friends will also hold a fundraiser and benefit for Emily Saturday January 19th at Mezzanine Lounge, 2200 Southwest Freeway in Houston to help pay for her rising medical expenses.

Link

it is upsetting when these things occur.

Although I hope it makes governments have a deep hard look at themselves, the desperation people go to, creating more and more complex synthetic dangerous drugs with unknown side effects that can't be banned because the laws will never keep up with the chemistry.
All because they insist on keeping cannibus completly illegal.

Exactly what I think too.
Make the damn thing legal ,you are not going to stop anyone from smoking it.
Did the prohibition era stop people from drinking?

It's ludicrous , it's a damn weed that grows in the ground.

That stuff is disgusting. I know a few folks who tried messing around with it in high school, luckily they didn't have anything awful happen like this unfortunate girl. Still, they described it as a really stupid high, not a good feeling, so they stopped thankfully. A few of them used spice or k2 to replace real weed when they were in PTI (pre-trial intervention, a way for first-time non-violent offenders to get their charges expunged through community service/drug testing/classes). Though why they couldn't have just not smoked anything is beyond me, if real weed had been legal it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Not that that would prevent some from smoking the synthetic stuff anyway - if the fact that you're smoking synthetic incense isn't enough of a deterrent, then I don't know...

I think you're wrong about legalization acting as a deterrent. These chemists that come up with the newest compounds that aren't covered by narcotic legislation are making money. If weed is legal, they'll come up with the next otc cocaine, or psilocybin, or ecstasy just to keep making money.

Thank God we have a war on drugs here in the USA to prevent children from getting high.

Could you imagine the insanity that would sue if drugs were everywhere....?

Oh wait.. nevermind

Here is what I have to say about this shit.... I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN HOSPITAL BECAUSE OF IT!!!!!!!!

There are 15 year olds who do it cos they think cos it isn't illegal it isn't bad. I know this cos I'v caught kids in my little brothers year at school smoking it and I offered then real weed instead. Real weed has never caused problems like the shit that you can buy in stores. You can buy it at lots of corner shops it is sick. The thing wrong with the synthetic shit is they can just adjust the chemical formula quite easily and sell it again.
I've also met younger kids who have tried it. It's too easy to get a hold of and it is amazingly addictive. I was hooked.

To be honest the only way I can see it getting out of the shops and being non-profitiable anymore is but decriminalizing real marijuana.

If it's natural its ok. (as far as weed is concerned)

This subject should not be taken lightly
People need education on drugs

Counselor Wrote:I think you're wrong about legalization acting as a deterrent. These chemists that come up with the newest compounds that aren't covered by narcotic legislation are making money. If weed is legal, they'll come up with the next otc cocaine, or psilocybin, or ecstasy just to keep making money.

But it will stop kids for taking the synthetic weed which is pretty much like taking hard drugs. And I like weed.

Kiid Wrote:But it will stop kids for taking the synthetic weed which is pretty much like taking hard drugs. And I like weed.

Cite your source. I'm referring to the practicality of a capitalist mindset. People don't choose to stop doing things that make money. Kids won't stop trying things that are made mysterious by anti-drug campaigns. This is not a new trend.

I'm not arguing that marijuana should remain illegal, but I don't think that decriminalizing it will reduce curiosity about other synthetic drugs.

we aren't talking about synthetic drugs in general, we are talking about synthetic cannaboids.

a friend of a friend worked a store that sold synthetic marijuana said that 90% of people that bought it were miners, doctors, policemen or government officials, people that would occasionally be asked to take a drug test and couldn't afford to have any residue detected in their system.