Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migraine visual aura
Hi,

I am not sure if the English name is correct, I've borrowed it from the following video.
Has it ever happened to you?
I experienced it about four times so far. Sometimes it's really nice. Those rainbows bolts and waves. I don't see the gray spot, but I can't focus/don't see things at that spot.
Sometimes I have tears in the eye, because it's too bright.
It doesn't hurt. It keeps moving and then after about 10-20 minutes it disappears.

Has anyone heard more about it? What does cause it? How to stop it? I've heard that doctors say it's harmless...

I get it in my left eye, usually with stress or if I stay up longer than 24 hours.

There is nothing to do except panic while its taking place and pray its not onset of a brain aneurysm or something. Well that is what I did the first time.

Since then I just go with them and wait them out.

Hi, Nick.
I don't have my degree yet but this ties in a little from my internship this past summer and current study.

Research has established a connection between increased brain sodium levels and migraine onset. The cause of that increase is unknown.

In the brain, sodium is higher and potassium is lower than in the rest of the body. Neurons are very dependent on the sodium and potassium levels being correct. If the potassium is too high, neurons die. There is NIH research going on as to how the brain sodium is regulated.

Brain sodium levels cannot be regulated by a person's salt intake as we do to decrease high blood pressure since the brain and central nervous system sodium and potassium is handled differently than in the rest of our body.

Elevated sodium in cerebrospinal fluid causes nerve cells to be more excitable and increases sensitivity to light. So migraine attacks are caused by a wave of brain activity causing nerve cells to fire uncontrollably. This results in large changes in blood flow. It is the wave (cortical spreading depression) that causes the aura.

B.A. :biggrin: yeah, that's how it feels.

Thanks azulai, that's interesting. I will read it a couple of times to remember it Smile

Do you know, by any chance, more about vitreous humor (I hope I have the English right)? Those translucent/gray/dark dots or lines that are sometimes visible. I heard that those were cracks in the vitreous. Some say that it is caused by not drinking properly, some that a lack of silicon mineral may be responsible.
I used to have one or two of them when I was a kid, now there are a bit more of them. I can see them when I look up in the clear sky for example.

Thank you Smile

Well Doctor Azulai,

I do have problems processing salts and potassium. I get low blood pressure moments due to low salt. Low enough BP to the point where I stood up and woke up on the floor a few minutes later.

Blood tests 'caught' low sodium and low potassium and that was dead of winter so it wasn't from heat exhaustion. The doctor put me on salt pills for a while.

The brain salt/potassium makes sense for me.

I have it happen a few times at the pool, usually I get the lightening flashes in the corner that kill.
The other strange thing I sometimes get is being able to see the image of the room even though I have my eyes closed.

I am on Endep at the moment , it seems to help.

I never seen that before with mine but it's been a while since my last migraine. I'm usually in bed with a cold wash clothe on my head.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

I usually know when a migraine is imminent. I see things as though through a shimmering heat-haze. That's when I start to think: "Oh no, not again". :frown:

I get migraines but they are usually accompanied by light and noise sensitivity, so I have to go into a dark room and lie down until they pass.

Nick, I have experienced "migraine visual auras" just like in the video you posted. These started when I was a teen and happened several times for a couple years. I have had two or three since my teen years, and I have not been able to identify what brings them on. I have never had pain associated with the events, so I consider myself lucky. The first was frightening to me, as I wondered if I was going blind. Since then I simply stop what I'm doing and sit or lie quietly until it passes. 10-20 minutes, as you described. It seems harmless, though I've never been driving during an episode. I've noticed no lasting effects.