Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to come out but not really sure...
So... I want to come out but I'm not really sure if that'd be a great idea considering im a senior in high school but I feel like its "time." My only problem with doing this is the singling out I'd probably get from coming out and i'm not sure if that'd be great for me. So each problem is equal and I'm in a stalemate in what I want to do so i need opinions on what I should do.

Hi,
I understand your reluctance. I know as someone who came out recently at the age of 60 that I definately wish I had come out when I was younger. I missed out on living a life that was more true to my true self. I wonder if you have considered waiting until you graduate if that would be easier. Or start by coming out to those you trust to support you. As someone who waited way too long maybe I'm not the best person to advise on coming out. I wish you the best.

you don't have to come out all at once, you don't need to shout it to the rooftops or tell everyone you meet. if you are ready then all you need to do is stop hiding, tell close friends and correct people if they ask or assume the wrong thing

Hmm yeah I've kinda wanted to tell my best friend for awhile but not sure how to go about it :p

My advice would be to wait if you are worried about being singled out. No I am not out of the closet but I speak from watching a friend deal with it. She was in the class before me and after graduation everyone started seeing her regularly with a girl, Whitney. It eventually came out that Sam was in fact a lesbian. Everyone turned against her, told her how nasty she was and that she was going to hell, etc, etc. People would even talk about her to her younger brother who was in my grade. Kids are cruel, and they can beat you down. Sam moved about 45 minutes away and has nothing to do with the ppl she went to school with. Waiting untill graduation may be a little easier on you in the sense that you dont have to spend 8 hours a day in the same building with the discrimination. However, telling a few trusted ppl may also help to relieve some of the weight of coming out. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

There is no rush to come out, do so when you feel comfortable and preferably when you can stand on your own two feet and are not dependent on others.

It's up to you but I'd say it's a good idea to wait until High School is over. Good luck though! Smile

if your ok with the simple reply:
dont do it.

Is there a particular reason that you feel you gotta come out now?

If there is no pressure to do so, and you're unsure of the reaction from people around you, then I would wait a while. Doesn't make you any less gay, though it may frustrate you that you cant be honest about who you are.

Are there any gay role models at school that you could talk to?

Good Luck.

ObW
x

You have until what June before the school year and your high school days end?

Who really needs to know at this time that you are gay at school?

I don't know where you live, so I do not know the local climate for acceptance. If you are going to a school where the open gay people are bashed constantly, remain silent. Let it go until you are out of school.

If there are openly gay people at your school and they are treated fairly ok, maybe you should befriend them and ask them how they dealt with the local climate.

No straight person has to come out, they just live their life and you figure it out (or just assume). We figure it out by who they date, who they look at and the gender they talk about as being 'hot' 'sexy' etc.

Unless you have a really close friend who you feel you are lying too, Then clearing the air may be beneficial.

There is no rush, this is not a race. The comfortable time or mostly comfortable time will come.