Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting rid of phlegm
Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of phlegm?

I've been congested since last week Friday. Woke up with a sore throat, and developed phlegm in either my throat or lungs. Tylenol Severe Cold and Flu isn't really helping, but it's the first time I've voluntarily taken pills.

Robitussin apparently doesn't treat sore throats. Have not seen the doctor for this yet.

Trying to cough it out - 90% of the time it just rattles the phlegm and does nothing. Or else, a tiny bit comes out, or a big glob.

It tastes nasty, too for obvious reasons.

Hot water and a few squirts of lemon juice does me the world of good. Detoxifies, tastes lovely and clears all the shit. You may wish to add sugar, but I dislike that.

Steam helps, a veyr hot shower, or a vaporizer with eucalyptus or Vicks. If nothing else, even a bowl of hot water. Drape a towel over your head and the bowl of hot water and, breath in a s much steam as you can. That helps loosen the congestion.

Mucinex.......

When ever I've had phlegm issues (which was a lot growing up as a child suffering with constant lung infections) id always have a cough medicine of some sort that would actully soothe the throat and loosen the gunky stuff up.
If I remember correctly im pretty sure you can also get an infection from your gp that aids the with loosening the phlegm and clearing out your lungs, but dont hold me to that one.
Make sure you also get something for your throat as the feeling of razor like cuts every time you cough is bloody terrible.

Blue Wrote:Steam helps, a veyr hot shower, or a vaporizer with eucalyptus or Vicks. If nothing else, even a bowl of hot water. Drape a towel over your head and the bowl of hot water and, breath in a s much steam as you can. That helps loosen the congestion.

I agree with this too. When I get a cold I hammer it's ass. Hot water and lemon drink; bowl of boiling steaming water with some oil in like eucalyptus as above; fresh air; hot showers and baths; lots of fruit.

When I get a cold, I don't get sick, the virus gets sick of me Big Grin

Senega and Ammonia cough mix available from any chemist has always worked a treat for me.

Oh and I also used an echinacea throat spray.

I'm serious when I say I kick it's ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: 33548427.jpg]

I'm not sure about phlegm but for a sore throat, bee propolis is amazing.

I drip a few drops into my throat and it sort of warms it and it's like the effect of honey but thousands of times better. It tastes quite waxy and bitter though.

It is a very strong antiseptic, that comes from the natural seal bees put on their hives, if you can get it, it should really soothe your throat. It comes in many forms, but I think the one that's just plain liquid propolis solution with a drippy tube is best. I don't know about its availability, but if you can get it use it, because it really soothes a sore throat well. [Image: avoca_propolis_6pk.jpg]

All good suggestions, let me just add that I've also found spicy foods help with easing the congestion. Drinking milk can help soothe a sore throat, but I've noticed it thickens any phlegm that's in there so that one's iffy.