Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobia??
The world feels like it is becoming more homophobic or less homophobic or No change.

I say less, mostly due to the outrage across the internet when people start up anti-gay campaigns, and the current political climate.

The world feels like it's becoming. What it becomes is subject to retrospective analysis that is itself subject to subsequent reassessment in light of new information.

In other words, anything we could hope to say is at best an educated guess and is at worst silly bullshit. There is an insanely fine line between the two.

I would say more, but I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt. The more accepting the rest of the country seems to be, the more hostile and violent they are getting down here in Kentucky. I continue to hear from my family that the only choices are to convert to being straight through the power of Jesus Christ, or commit an honorable suicide. Praise Jesus.

rover330 Wrote:I would say more, but I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt. The more accepting the rest of the country seems to be, the more hostile and violent they are getting down here in Kentucky. I continue to hear from my family that the only choices are to convert to being straight through the power of Jesus Christ, or commit an honorable suicide. Praise Jesus.

Lol, Christ-tards.

I'm sorry your family is so selfish.

Idon't like the word 'homophobia', PHOBIA implies that there is a fear of, people aren't scared of homosexuals, they are just arseholes Smile

Nice Morgan Freeman quote there dfiant

dfiant Wrote:Idon't like the word 'homophobia', PHOBIA implies that there is a fear of, people aren't scared of homosexuals, they are just arseholes Smile

Actually, many of them are. And not just in the "he'll treat me like I treat women and a lesbian will steal my girlfriend by treating her better than I do" way or "if gays can marry then people will start marrying horses and children next" (though that's bad enough) but because they LITERALLY believe we're a lightning rod for God's wrath. I am completely serious. I heard one woman who bravely defended Obama to her church (at a food bank where I was volunteering) change her mind instantly when one church member lied (at the time it was a lie, and even now it seems less than honest) that "He legalized perversion" (IIRC they were referring to his part in ending Don't Ask Don't Tell in our military) and she even freaked--I mean actually trembling--saying she feared God would destroy the country and Obama had to be stopped before God did to us what He did to Sodom. And relatives of mine in Texas (who don't know I'm gay, and at the time I don't even think they suspected) told me to stay out of Los Angeles and San Francisco as they believe God is going to destroy those cities for their open tolerance of homosexuals. God did it in the Bible, so He'll do it to us (btw, note that God won't destroy a city or nation for rape or child molesting, only homosexuality). And the thankfully rare Christian terrorist attacks gays because they think it will avert God's wrath, to them it's self-defense against being destroyed by their petty god throwing a temper tantrum. And another example:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/falwell.asp

That's pretty phobic to me, that's Cold War hysteria, only instead of fearing the Soviets nuking us they fear God doing it...just because we're left alone.

'Course these same people tend to be scared of Harry Potter, too...

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.asp

Btw, back when I volunteered with a Children's Summer Reading program in 2000 (when that panic I just shared first got spread) the children's librarians chose to read Harry Potter (with activities) as it was most likely to appeal to the kids from age 4-11 and the library board questioned it, some fearing parental wrath but one (a lawyer who was prepping to enter actual politics after getting experience on the board) feared God's wrath and when a librarian demonstrated the quick making of a wizard/witch's hat and put it on her head the lawyer actually refused to look at her as if he was scared to. Rolleyes

Personally, I don't think Aussies can understand what we have to put up with here. I envy you that.

Here in the USA there appears to be more tolerance and even affirmation of LGBT. At least in my life time. I have seen the days of being instantly fired for being 'that way' to being not so instantly fired and the boss having to come up with another reason than 'morality issues'.

Several states have gay marriage, a few more have domestic partnership.

In my lifetime it went from absolutely no gays in the military, through 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to the recent 'We don't care what your lifestyle is, we still want you to put yourself in danger on the battlefield.

In the 1970's they were still giving electroshock therapy to 'treat' homosexuals. Today mainline psychiatrists and psychologists will laugh in your face if you suggest homosexuality is a mental disorder.

The kids are even more tolerant (20 somethings)... A lot more people will go 'And, so?' if you come out gay, pretty much indifferent and uncomfortable with the coming out thing because its a non-issue and they don't know what to do.

Elsewhere in the world things are tightening down. Russia has a 'don't talk about it' policy, places in Africa are seeking to legalize the killing and prosecutions of LGBT.

Perhaps its really isn't changing on the global scale, just sort of shifting around with new areas becoming more tolerant and other areas becoming less.

I think I see is as sort of a rubber band. The far left and far right are still the same but the area in the middle is growing...exponentially. So it is not getting more or less, it is just the area in the middle called TOLERANCE is getting more apparent. (Or did I miss the point...again!?)