Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For anyone who's learning a language
Hello!

I just wanted to share an amazing website I found for anyone looking to improve their language skills: http://lang-8.com/

Basically, you write "diary entries" in a language you're practising. Then other members who speak that language fluently correct your mistakes for you - in return you can correct people who are practising a language YOU know. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are at the language - just write and people will show you how to improve.

It's been helping me a lot with my Japanese since it's very valuable to have someone correct you and explain what you did wrong. Just felt like sharing it for other students or anyone who wants to teach themselves a new language! Smile

Looks like a good resource, I'd love to learn one or two other languages though I haven't got the time at the moment. Is it any use for beginners? e.g. someone who only knows a word or two?

Rawr Wrote:Looks like a good resource, I'd love to learn one or two other languages though I haven't got the time at the moment. Is it any use for beginners? e.g. someone who only knows a word or two?

Well, technically you need to be able to write sentences. They could be full of errors though. No matter how horribly you write in a language people will be nice and correct you, but if you only know two words of a language you can't really create anything to correct in the first place.

Really basic stuff is fine though. "Today I met a cat", "I ate lunch" (doesn't even have to be correct) but still sentences. I'm still on a very basic level and I have a hard time making my sentences fluid - but I've improved a lot since I started.

Rawr Wrote:Looks like a good resource, I'd love to learn one or two other languages though I haven't got the time at the moment. Is it any use for beginners? e.g. someone who only knows a word or two?

As mentioned, I think to be of any use you'd have to be able to write more than two words, otherwise the interaction will be limited...

SolemnBoy Wrote:Well, technically you need to be able to write sentences. They could be full of errors though. No matter how horribly you write in a language people will be nice and correct you, but if you only know two words of a language you can't really create anything to correct in the first place.

Really basic stuff is fine though. "Today I met a cat", "I ate lunch" (doesn't even have to be correct) but still sentences. I'm still on a very basic level and I have a hard time making my sentences fluid - but I've improved a lot since I started.

Well thanks for that site, Solemn, I think it might be very useful.

princealbertofb Wrote:As mentioned, I think to be of any use you'd have to be able to write more than two words, otherwise the interaction will be limited...

Ist drei ausreichend?

Ein bischen.... ja.... ebenso must du zehn Buchstaben hier schreiben... am wenigsten... Wink

Bitte, nicht auf Deutsch, ich habe nur drei Worte!

I believe its Wörter in the plural, see that site's already working.
Sorry about that.

That's a really good Idea, I could use this to study for Japanese, although I'm doubtful of whether I could use Latin here xD