Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STD/STI tests
It seems that there's the occasional thread with people talking about their partner (or themselves) participating in sexual activities with people outside of the relationship and it got me to thinking that I don't really know the real sexual history of people I've been in contact with, they could be 100% clean but I still need to know.

After thinking it over the last couple of months I finally went and got myself tested yesterday and feel better that I will find how what my sexual health is although I'm certain there's nothing for me to worry about.

The doctor I went to see has taken samples to test for everything, 5 swabs, some urine and blood was taken from me. She even gave me a slap on the backside for trying to be funny, at least she had a sense of humour.

How many other members have actually gone through the process of being tested and is it something that you feel you need to do?

I know this is in the men's section but women feel free to reply also. Smile

I get an HIV test every year, not that I think I am in danger but for my visa requirements. Even in the years that it wasn't necessary, I would go for tests at the start and end of every relationship (all 2 of them) and make my partner go for a test beforehand as well.

Yes, I think it's important to know your status as well as that of your partner(s). I admit HIV has been my biggest concern to date and have only had other STI tests done as part of a bigger medical investigation, but should maybe start including it in my routine.

The last time I was tested for everything was 5-7 years ago.

After my last partner brought home the HIV it was prudent to test for that on a regular basis. 6 Months after his positive test results we stopped having sex. I tested regularly for HIV until the more definitive RNA test came out and put to rest the worry.

I decided to get everything else tested since I never knew who I was having sex with through my previous partners.

The closest I have come to an STD is scabies, or ringworm.

I have lived a blessed and miraculous life in this department.

generally if you just got infected any test may not show the recent activity.
especially important for the HIV test which relies on antibodies, takes time for the your body to generate the antibodies to the HIV

accuracy depends on the type of test, its a recession so its difficult to get the free clinics to use the more accurate sensitive HIV test method. Either test has a latency period.

There is a HIV take home test these days too. If anyone has use this chime in the experience.

the HIV is still a serious life changing illness, tho you could manage the disease it still will take 20years off your life span and insure a gruesome death. Proper management of the disease in N America will trim tens of thousands of dollars off your income make you moderate your mental an physical life style.

Current US guidelines suggest if you are sexually active and in a high risk group (multiple partners - unsafe sex) you should be tested every 3 months. If you do not fall into the high risk group it should be every six months.