Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filibustering? ...what?
When they told me about this whole filibuster-thing in the office I thought it was a joke… but apparently this is something real here in the United States (in México this doesn´t exists, is it also present in other countries?). Senator Rand Paul has been speaking for 8:15 hours and counting just to delay the nomination of John Brennan as head of the C.I.A.

In the link below you can find updates on what is being “said” in the senate:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/w...n-brennan/

Some quotes from senator Rand Paul:

"I will speak until I can no longer speak."

"If we believe [Obama] to be a good man who would never kill noncombatants in a cafe in Houston, sitting out in a sidewalk cafe, smoking — oh, that's right you're not allowed to smoke cigarettes anymore."

"I'm not saying that anyone is Hitler, don't misunderstand me. But what I am saying that is…when a democracy gets it wrong, you want the law to be in place.”

"You don't think a President working off of PowerPoint slides and flash cards might not make a mistake?"

wow, can no one take him off the stand?
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

The only way to overcome a filibuster is to invoke cloture, which limits the time for debate about a given bill or action; this is tough to do because you need 3/5 (60/100) of the Senate to vote in favor of it. Strom Thurmond holds the record for longest filibuster of over 24 hours http://www.businessinsider.com/longest-f...aul-2013-3 and he wasn't exactly doing it for a noble cause.

The filibuster is one way that the Senate was designed to be more deliberative and focused on the power of minority parties and individuals, rather than the House in which the majority party usually dominates. Of course "deliberation" often translates as "stagnation" these days, and the fact that the House and Senate are controlled by different parties doesn't help with the gridlock, leading to the circus we have today.

ceez Wrote:wow, can no one take him off the stand?

I dont exactly agree with this Paul (his father seemed to make a lot more sense (at times)) but I do agree that he has the right and actually he is not just reading the dictionary as Strom Thurmond would do in his filibusters.

At least Rand Paul is making points that he believes are important - most of his points are about using drones in the USA on American citizens ... thus the cafe in Houston comment!

btw You can watch it on C-SPAN2 live. C-SPAN1 & 2 are usually on basic cable. Whenever the senate or house is in session these stations run live feeds. At other times it is dedicated to USA politics in other forms. The morning call in show is one of the best three hours of live tv you will ever see! Bonus No commercials Clap

I don't much care for John Brennan either, but unless Rand really knows someone better for the job, and who won't be into expanding or even just continuing with our drone program as it is, then I don't see a point to this...that is to say I don't see any other point than to stymie Obama and "make him fail" which is what I'm pretty sure this is about (that is, I believe if it was Romney appointing Brennan then Rand would be ok with it, just as many people ok with Obama's drones and "secret kill lists" would be rending their garments if it had been McCain or Bush doing it instead).

I don't agree with most of his points, but it is his constitutional right as a minority to filibuster.

I'm glad that Rand Paul is speaking as opposed to most of the cowards that filibustered before in name only, without speaking.

The whole point of the filibuster is to make opposition known. Not just to say nope, and then take a vacation.

I hear tales that previous filibusters have been a reading of the New York Telephone Directory, or the dictionary or some other book.

In more recent times its been declared and then every takes a vacation.

I do not fully understand the whole mechanics of it, but I can see where it can serve a purpose occasionally. Very occasionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster_...tes_Senate

There are other rules which can serve a purpose when used in moderation. the past 16 years has seen major use of such things that were only meant to be used only a little. The Republicans have been hard at work saying no to everything in the Obama Administration and using every dirty tactic in the books instead of working bi-partisan.

I do not actually side with the Democrats, however on the issue of not working bi-partisan I see the democrats trying far much more, even when they were the minority, to achieve bi-partisanship.

The past 10 years of how the congress especially the Senate are abusing their special powers makes it clear in my mind that the two party system has stopped working. I think its high time that We The People oust the two party system and go for more parties and have a lot of these legal loopholes sewn shut.

I am also all for the rounding up of politicians and having them beheaded in public - which ever method does the trick. Wink

Is there any sizeable political movements in the USA for Electoral reform?
Ditching FPTP would probably be a healthy change.

Genersis Wrote:Is there any sizeable political movements in the USA for Electoral reform?
Ditching FPTP would probably be a healthy change.

Not that I'm aware.

Most US people appear to be merely sheeple, all caught up in the Two Party System and never actually thinking Third Party is possible.

We have the Media outlets like Fox and MSNBC which cater to their extremist side (Fox Conservative/MSNBC Liberal) this helps promote the propaganda that there is only two sides to every tale.

Its going to take a lot more than a few moderates and centrists to break this chain.