Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Parents.
Reposted from George Takei's Facebook page! I'm addicted to this page!!

This is such a fantastic letter from a parent to a son. I wish all parents could be this cool!

[Image: 205312_627816037247853_427980214_n_zps42d983b2.jpg]

I saw this letter earlier today. It was brilliant and wonderful and beautiful. Thanks for posting it here.

Hmm.
Seems legit.
Words becoming less uniform at the more emotional bits.

Thats nice

my housemate/best friend's parents were really cool when he came out

he told his mom over the phone . the conversation pretty much went

"hey mom. i have a boyfriend ... no , he's straight ... okay . laters." *end*

lololol

That's a lucky guy to have parents like that Smile

Parents eavesdropping on 'phone call, not a good thing under any circumstances.
Communicating by leaving a note for their kid on such a sensitive issue, irresponsible and massively insulting to the kid. Since it was information which at that stage the parents had no reason to know, writing it down and leaving it about the house is asking for trouble. Do they assume the staff are illiterate?

Responsible parents who found themselves in possession of this sort of information would do the decent and wait for their kid to tackle the issue in his/her own time rather than forcing it. What a way to come out, having your parents tell you they've found out you're gay.

Of course it could be made up, someone's idea of a heartwarming story. If it is, it's someone who's never actually had to come out.

Whoever took the photograph and published it was not showing much sensitivity either, anonymity notwithstanding.

cardiganwearer Wrote:Parents eavesdropping on 'phone call, not a good thing under any circumstances.
Communicating by leaving a note for their kid on such a sensitive issue, irresponsible and massively insulting to the kid. Since it was information which at that stage the parents had no reason to know, writing it down and leaving it about the house is asking for trouble. Do they assume the staff are illiterate?

Responsible parents who found themselves in possession of this sort of information would do the decent and wait for their kid to tackle the issue in his/her own time rather than forcing it. What a way to come out, having your parents tell you they've found out you're gay.

Of course it could be made up, someone's idea of a heartwarming story. If it is, it's someone who's never actually had to come out.

Whoever took the photograph and published it was not showing much sensitivity either, anonymity notwithstanding.
I lol'ed at the line in bold. Are you assuming they have staff? Not everyone in this world is rich.

it always amazed me why a gay man has to come out to the parents he has lived with for his whole life. You mean to tell me that they dont now their son or daughter is gay after living with them for 15-20years?

I just saw this on another site, and I'm really not convinced it's legit.

But the bigger problem for me, if it is legit, is the utter insensitivity of the father. Not only has he overheard a phone call, but he's known his son is gay, and has known it since he was six.

Considering the sort of angst you go through as a teenager, if I was a parent and thought my son might be gay, I'd try to make things a little easier for him -- possibly broach the subject rather than just waiting around while his son works through his own inner torment.

And really, a letter? Get some orange juice and some bread?

How about a conversation?