Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first steps coming out
About a week ago I told my dad I was gay in the car right before I went to class,he just said it was not good and he wanted me to have a normal life but a gay life is normal for me, so thats the last we spoke about it. I told my brother who said he was sorry for teasing me so long and wrote me a 5 page letter saying he loved me, ive only come out to a few friends and need to tell the rest,

Save the 5 page letter

Standard thing:
-Your the same person as you were before, just not hiding anything now
-you have been dealing with it all your life, give the rents some time

I can't understand how parents can live with their son daughter for 15 20 years and not know he is gay

I will keep the letter

You should be very proud of yourelf coming out at 17. I hope your parents can accept who you are and see what a great lad you really are.

Wow, I'm really more impressed with your loving brother than with your failing father, however, let's guess that the poor man has been lumped with a big hot potato and maybe he's wondering how to tell your mum (I take it there is a mum in the picture) or his mates at work and the neighbours. That's what parents worry about. It might help him if you reminded him that there are groups out there which reach out to parents of gays and lesbians etc... (PFLAG) and it's worth his looking into if he feels really uncomfortable with it.

How does it feel to have told him at last?
And oh, btw, Thatgay, Congratulations!!!

It feels pretty good, like a burden has been lifted, my mom and dad are divorced and we have other issues besides my sexuality so hopefully when i tell her she is accepting. My dads reaction wasnt the best but it could have been worse.

Yes it could have been worse. Of course with all the stuff going on in the press, your dad is probably aware of some difficulties that may lie ahead for you, and so he can't condone that as a "choice" of life. It's as if you came home and told him you were part of a gang. He can't but feel worried for your safety and future. But being gay is not like being in a gang, or getting hooked up on drugs. Nothing remotely like those. As a bonus remind him how many drugs you won't have to be taking (and he would paying for) since you'll be off anti-depressants. Depression is far more debilitating, and costly, than knowing the truth about yourself.

I came out years ago and still in the closet. My mum will not accept me being gay and now i`m 30 i m stuck what to do next. I pretend to be straight now. I have done for years. She knows i`m gay it is just awkward bringing that subject up again.

yeah i know what you mean, i told my dad and now trying to convince him its okay is still as hard as telling him

I came out years ago and still in the closet. My mum will not accept me being gay and now i`m 30 i m stuck what to do next. I pretend to be straight now. I have done for years. She knows i`m gay it is just awkward bringing that stuff up again