Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay pagans / spiritualists / other
hello

in what seems like a material obsessed gay world are there others like me hoping for a more spiritually connected experience on this earthly plain - I dip my toe in and out of my spiritual focused side but I am distracted from my own focus quite easily - any knowledge, tips, guides or groups welcome to advise me in my so far failed quest

thank you

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "spiritually connected".
You talk about it as if it's the backward of material obsessed. One can be interested in different things, sciences for instance (which is a very "down to earth" faith...is it spirituality?), without believing in a overnatural superiority , and without according that much importance on "having".

Well it's a sincere question. Wink

I personnally don't really understand how we can believe in one of the three religions (in which it's told that homosexuality is against natural things) and be gay. It's a very personnal point of view but I think it is shared.
(Warning : stereotypes) : It might be one of the points that makes most homosexuals more down to earth, and for some of them materialistic, while others found their proper conception of the world, and get brillant (well shortcuts, but that's probably partly true).

historical Wrote:hello

in what seems like a material obsessed gay world are there others like me hoping for a more spiritually connected experience on this earthly plain - I dip my toe in and out of my spiritual focused side but I am distracted from my own focus quite easily - any knowledge, tips, guides or groups welcome to advise me in my so far failed quest

thank you

What do you mean by "spiritually connected experience"?
That would help with my response.

Ekwarph Wrote:I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "spiritually connected".
You talk about it as if it's the backward of material obsessed. One can be interested in different things, sciences for instance (which is a very "down to earth" faith...is it spirituality?), without believing in a overnatural superiority , and without according that much importance on "having".

Well it's a sincere question. Wink

I personnally don't really understand how we can believe in one of the three religions (in which it's told that homosexuality is against natural things) and be gay. It's a very personnal point of view but I think it is shared.
(Warning : stereotypes) : It might be one of the points that makes most homosexuals more down to earth, and for some of them materialistic, while others found their proper conception of the world, and get brillant (well shortcuts, but that's probably partly true).
I know, I don't understand Gay priests, if your going to start a religion that's inclusive then fine, but otherwise I cant stand the contradiction, and i believe in God without any of the religions. Historical im sorry i find your question vague. Though natures a good start, though Im no spiritual guru Big Grin

The whole gay Christian thing kind of throws me....why follow a religion that demonizes and vilifies you as an abomination? Seems like some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing if you ask me....but then again, I'm not the biggest fan of religion in the first place....

That being said, I do admit to having much more respect for pagan religions than all others. The pagans I know personally are very welcoming and accepting of the LGBT community. Two of my dearest friends are Wiccans and they don't have a bigoted bone in their bodies. There was a time once that I tried walking the pagan path in life...and while I do find the myriad of traditions beautiful, ultimately they were not for me and an atheist I remain.

I know that doesn't really answer your question....just one guy's perspective though Smile

@Partisan, I also don't understand why millions of people believe in exactly the same thing. I think I also believe in a surnatural strengh or motivation which created the Universe (only to explain what science cannot explain when the human mind tries to play with things too complex for its like : what there was before the first atom). Excepted that, I'm a pure scientist, I have faith on sciences.
But once I thought about that, why it prevents me/us from being materialistic? And as I said in my first message, if I don't care about what there was "before", in what I would tend to be materialistic?

I'm not sure it interferes that far in our lives. I mean, compared to problems a gay might encounter, and which he will have to face, and to put in questions his life to live normally by putting himself his constraints which are out of judeo-christian "way of life".

I will caricature by saying some do it cleaverly and is prepared to solve problems which make him a motor, and others can't and push their problems and try to "seem" more than to "be".

Just to be clear (in case it's not) pagans tend to find a mix between material & physical. That is where religions like Christianity tend to treat God as outside and above nature with the spiritual & material as a dichotomy the pagan religions usually see God/dess manifest IN nature and apart of it. Ideally that makes for balance, which does prevent obsession with one or the other yet also means there's a foot in both worlds, and the concerns are more on living right in this world rather than earning some place in heaven. IOW, don't mistake them for new agers (*) or spiritualists.

(*Though new agers are much more focused on the "spiritual over the physical," it's also remarked that the difference between a new age & neopagan workshop is "about $200" as new agers tend to charge a lot more.)

As for finding pagan gays I would expect going to a pagan gathering might work, not only are gays typically accepted but there exist purely gay groups as well, and sometimes they show up either as individuals or even as a group to conduct a workshop. But if that's not practical for you then you might find it useful to post a profile at witchvox with what you're after as well as checking groups and individuals who have posted their own profiles to see if any interest you (even if hundreds of miles or kilometers away they might still know someone in your area).

If you arent centered in yourself, then you can search for eons and never find what you are looking for.

Been there, done that, bought the Tshirt and went home.

to be some what controversial (again) I see religion as a dogma and dictatorship - spirituality to me is more free flowing, all embracing and environmentally aware - material to me is obsession with goods, belongings, possession, status and the desire for power

i'm just feeling disconnected from the world and from the people in it generally at the moment - hoping to find a spark that re-ignites my flame once again - I would like to feel something deep within instead of feeling empty

So, are you interested in all that new age, spiritual energy, chackras, auras, third-eye, the true/hidden power of the mind kind of stuff?