Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What word do you use to design homosexuals.gays etc. ?
Hi everybody!
Because I just read a post in correlation with this question and I didn't want to flood the topic in what it was, I wonder what word do you prefer which means people who are attracted to same-sex people?
For me, each word has a "problem" or a bad connotation.

Gay has a very political connotation : for me it sounds almost like a political party (gays' revendications for example) and I have difficulties to use this word.
Homosexual sounds like a very scientific word, maybe a pathology, it's also weird to me to use that.
The others are offensive. In French, I often use the equivalent of "fag, faggot" but lots of gay people think it's offensive, but I think it's finally the most neutral. In English I use "gay" but I think it has this political connotation, no?

What do you think about it?

I propose we invent a very neutral word to designate us. :biggrin:

most words sound fine to me usually, I just have aversions to specific words especially the word 'queer' when used to describe gay people. It just doesn't roll off the tongue. Queer is a queer word to say, which is why it's supposed to mean 'weird, off-colour'

I suppose gay and homosexual sound the most natural to me, one informal and one formal.

Do you mean "designate" rather that "design"?

I think "gay" has become universal now, albeit sometimes spelt slightly differently, and you would have difficulty in changing it now. LGTB would have to be changed for instance and I don't see that happening

I edited, thanks Londoner Wink

Gay is also a very "commercial" word I think. Like gay travel, gay bars, gay things blabla.

I use gay, but yah it is a bit commercial, but I don't like the word "faggot" I have never liked it before I figured out my sexuality.

I use any word......Cause i ain't afraid of words. It's the intent and the asshole that's using them that's bad.

Mick

Depending on how well I know the person it could be anything from gay or lesbian to fag or dyke. Although if it's possible to avoid, I'd choose not to designate the person in question at all.

Call me what you like, just don't call me late for dinner :-\.

Queer
Gay
Fag
Homo
Sissy

Whatever, but I'd prefer to be referred to as Human though, cause no word can define who I am if I don't allow it.

Sure, I say Dears and Queers alot, but it's not to insult or define people, I just find it a cute rhyming thing, similar to ladies and gentlemen(though that don't rhyme).

People rely too heavily on labels, and sometimes they're cute, but it shouldn't be like class where the teacher says: "fags stand, lesbos raise your hands, trannies hop on one leg" cause then you have a sort of catagorization thing going on, when we're all the same at the end of the day.

Although, I like the term "Friend of Dorothy", cause it's kinda cute and I love the Wizard of Oz <3

It depends how its said, but I agree homosexual sounds like a medical conditions, like does it mean were not full homosapien, just homosexual! Big Grin I got no problem with Gay, Im gay and im Gay (happy). And if queenodi say- wants to call me queer or a sissyboy, then that's fine, its who says it, if its done to intimidate or antagonize then they like the word faggots.