Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Humans Tame The Animal Inside ?
As a species we humans think are we above all other animals,But at the same time we keep giving into are more primitive animal side.So I ask this question can we humans ever tame the animal inside us all ? I myself am not really sure if we can do it but I want to know what other forum users think.

Some humans can, most cannot.

I dont know about the animal inside, but I sure would love to tame the bad grammar!!! LMAO

Regardless of how "cultured", "sophisticated", "smart", "intelligent", or "civilized" anyone claims to be, there are still basic instincts we all have.....

Survival
Food
Shelter

When it comes down to the "nitty gritty", you do what you gotta do.

Working with Animals, I can say this; Taming is a term to be spoken in one's own perspective, cause an Animal can seem tame for years and lash out randomly or be tame with one person an not another.

I don't think humans were ever "tamed" to begin with. The mind, like MisterTinkles hinted on, is self-preserving, so if we want to be "tame" to fit in or to be accepted, than we'll make that adjustment, however subliminal it may be.

Like how we tend to pick up another dialect if we're around it long enough, but never truely make it our own.

And I believe myself spiritually and emotionally on the same level with animals. Sounds funny, but hey :/ (read my sig Wink )

We can make ourselves do anything we want. We all have natural instincts and will do things naturally.

Quote:And I believe myself spiritually and emotionally on the same level with animals.

^I agree

And also I'm as spiritual as rocks and non living things.

Now, before you ask this question, you gotta ask yourself, what IS the 'animal' inside us? What defines it as an animal? I mean, I believe we all have our own 'animals' inside us, but I do not think that it is really 'in' us the way you described. I think the 'animal' inside of us are just the needs we have.... The basic stuff....the needs for us to survive. Yeah sure, humans has grown into a much more sophisticated species, but the stuff we do for our needs isn't necessarily 'primitive' or such. Is it primitive of me if I stole someone's last food source because I was hungry? Is it wrong of me if I was forced to kill to survive?

Well, I can imagine that you're drawing the comparison between beast now aren't you? Beast has to compete for food sources and etc. But if you ask yourself, why are beasts 'animals'? You have to remember , that the term 'animals' were created by humans...,and to say that things about 'animals inside of us' is not really that correct because if you think deeply about it, the term of being an 'animal' has void meaning. Beasts aren't animals because they have to compete for food sources or climb up the ladders, it's because it's a survival instinct.

So, no, there's no such thing as 'taming' the animals inside of us because there's no such thing. There is only instincts...survival instincts.

From my perspective we ARE animals, so the only way we could "tame the animal inside" is to not be animals, that is not be human (such as uploading one's self to a robot, as at least a few transhumanists hope to do someday).

I believe do you mean to ask can we learn to co-exist with impulse control and without savagery. Sure, many do, some in healthy ways, others in ways that aren't so healthy. But a society that does so has to be very careful about it, better to properly channel the beast within with healthy outlets than repress it completely, because sad truth is the civilized (thinking like Star Trek here) is going to fall to the savage. And on that note...

I guess i can go either way on this. I like the animal side, its our basic right, our starting block, all the rest is a construction, if need be we can all revert to our animal selves. The animal world is cruel, and full of teeth and claws, animals dont preach to one another, or tell you what is right or wrong, animals just are, though sometimes i just see funny-shaped humans. my friend says the only difference between us and them, is we have words, i dont think i believe this.

We are animals, through and through.

Most people seem to live their lives just fine.

Well first ,I would like to thank everyone who replyed to this post. I thought the replys were interesting and they made some good points and secondly, I was wondering which Star Trek that Angel ,and Spike clip was from.? I know that question is off-topic but I still would like to know.