Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School year is over and I am PROUD
This was my 3rd year teaching and I'm really proud of myself.

I'm a high school teacher in Funchal, Madeira Island and I work in a very tough neighbourhood. Most of my students come from the local slums and with the recession and austerity measures, things are getting worse every year.

I had ZERO discipline problems (quite a miracle, considering the type of students I work with), I learned quite a lot and the quality of my work has improved.

I guess the secret to good teaching is to keep calm, be professional (your private life stays out of the classroom!) and plan your activities carefully.

Some of the activities I tried this year (any other tips and ideas will be more than welcome):

- Ride on the local ho-ho bus

- Music archive (kids listen to 100 mp3 files and have to organise them)

- Film archive (same as the above, but with film posters instead of mp3 files)

- Interview with restaurant manager + lunch (kids loved this one!)

- Photo marathon in the historic district of Funchal

- Lots of video clips

- Marketing survey at school

- Internet (incl. website on family budget, Google Maps, online stores, barcode generator, etc)

- iPad

- Stock exchange activity

- Film session at the local movie theatre

- Treasure hunt at the local book fair

Nice Party
How old are the kids you teach?

Brilliant, MisterLove... you've done well, so congratulations.
Have a nice holiday. When do you go back?

Thanks, guys. Smile

16 - 19 y.o. but, believe me, they are... special. They all come from poor families, they have zero motivation and no discipline whatsoever.

Hopefully I'll be back in September but in Portugal you never know. In this country, teachers are treated like the scum of the earth. Sad

Haha, SenhorAmor, I think it's the fate of many teachers all around the world, but maybe especially in countries where education is supposedly free. What's free is not properly valued in today's societies, which is a crying shame, because the ideals of free education are wonderful.

i wish you had been my teacher, all i got was math, english and french! . Treasure hunts, photo marothons and ho-ho buses, that would of got us motivated! Smile

"would have got", partisan... Wink yes the grammar police is out, especially in this 'school' thread.

I dont know what a ho ho bus is but if its full of hot looking ho guys then count me in!

congratulation, MisterLove Smile

Teaching can be a life long passion, and the teacher can become an unforgettable mentor and example for the students. Just be careful not to burn out Smile

Enjoy your holiday!

You deserve your holiday teaching is a great profession. We are all proud of you here at GS. Smile
An eye for an eye