Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook Fatigue
I remember when Myspace was all the rage. I was younger, and I enjoyed the anonymity of it all, and the personalization possibilities. It was fun, and meaningless.

Then Facebook took over, and I jumped on board like everyone else. It was cool keeping up with friends and family, at first. The popularity of the site kept a gravitational pull on me too. I never liked the stupid Zynga games everyone would invite me to play. It was annoying, and I didn't like feeling obligated to play something I didn't want to just in effort of not offending the person sending the request.

The same was true to everything else on Facebook. Liking pics or status updates, tagging people in photos or videos, having to write happy birthday on people's wall instead of calling them. I wouldn't want to hurt their "feelings", so I obliged like a little facebook zombie I was. It all became superficial to me. Trivial, and out of place in my mind.

The obligation, expectations, and lack of human to human contact started to weigh me down. Shit hit the fan for me, when I saw an old friend on the bus, and I told him we should hang hang sometime, to his response of, "Facebook me!", complimenting the smog look on his face. What happened to just giving me your god-damn number? Is that too old fashioned for your liking, you prick? Hence, I didn't "facebook" his bitch ass.

I had enough. With the information overload, and requirements of nurturing and responding to it all. What happened to calling people, and seeing them in person, for once? When did that become abnormal?

Also, keeping up with the endless format page function changes, over, and over, and over again... too much. Then, finding out, it sold your personal information to companies for advertisement revenue, and god knows who else, or what other entities that be.... my pictures, status updates, AND personal messages (WTF?!) in the hands of corporations and businesses that I'll never have anything to do with, given away like an open art gallery for them to gawk at, and share with 3rd and 4th parties, and so on. fuck that.

And on top of that the invisible facebook plugins that record and keep EVERYTHING you do online, on your personal computer.... is fed into their servers for advertisement-matchings of your "interests" in hopes you'll click on them for revenue.

I don't use Facebook anymore. I deleted it.... well DEACTIVATED IT, since it's impossible to permanently erase anything and everything you've ever done on facebook from their servers. It's theirs to keep... forever. Bullshit.

LAWL I totally shared this:
[Image: egypt.jpg]

lol funny.

I mean, am I the only person who has no interest in Facebook, or social media in general like Twitter etc?

The few times I'd brought it up, people get quiet, so I guess most people can't relate.

:confused:

Ya, I can do forums for some reason cause it's a different set up that I can appreciate. I guess it could be considered "social" media to an extent, but it's not the same because it's not with people I'll ever meet, or know what they even look like, or know in real life, having TMI shoved down m throat every few hours.... blah

It's not my thing either, and I never signed up with FB (or MS, twitter, etc).

Oh! Miley and her friends being silly teenagers (and FYI, she's back on):

I never really got swept up in the whole facebook thing. I had one until sophomore year at college, but I didn't use it much and never touched Farmville or whatever other distractions they had on there. I never felt guilty for not 'liking' or playing into other people's little widgets and postings and pictures and whatnot. I found the whole thing too boring to get sucked into, especially at the cost of having all that info being sold off to whoever Mark Fuckerberg wants to jerk it with. So I stopped. I can contact who I care to contact without it.

I don't like social media either. I used to have a myspace and I currently have a facebook, but I use them at bare minimum. I think crap like that ruins social interaction for people, and I need all the real social interaction I can get.

I don't use Facebook on principal. The OP outlined many of my own objections and in any case, why should I contribute to Mark Zuckerber's already considerable fortune. It's the sheer manipulation of one's personal data that really puts me off. Nothing, nothing that you put on your page ever belongs to you, it's all for the good of Facebook's finances. In any case, whatever happened to face to face communication? If you can't do face to face then there are e-mails and even free telephone/video calls via SKYPE.

I used to be on MySpace and Bebo back in my more psychotic days in secondary school.

I never joined Facebook.
Mainly because people I know in real life are on it and may start communicating with me.
Secondarily, I don't like the idea of any info I put on there being analysed and sold.

i like facebook because a lot of my friends / family are in different countries so it's an easy way to keep in touch with them ~~

I can sort of understand why people find the storage of information so creepy but some people act like there's actually any way anyone with access to the servers would ever care even the slightest in the photos they upload and comments they've made. That's not going to happen.

Also I don't like Facebook but I use it to stay in touch with people who don't use other things like Skype.