Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We win! Supreme Court

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/us/pol...ted=2&_r=0

EDIT: gosh darn it. Kumawool beat me to the post.

Some further discussion about the cases and implications here:

http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?p=309751

Oh you caught it already. Oops :p

I would say the Supreme Court has opened up the possibility of same-sex couples winning full marriage equality, rather than actually won...

Can someone please explain to me in short what does it mean? How does it influence the individual states of the United States and their law?

We made a DENT........won is a bit much.

Hang in though.

Mick

Nick9 Wrote:Can someone please explain to me in short what does it mean? How does it influence the individual states of the United States and their law?

Well, as far as I know:
1) Those married same-sex couples who live in states that recognise their marriage are now entitled to the same federal benefits as man and woman marriages receive in that state.

2) The pro same-sex marriage camp now has more material to cite in political debates and in court rooms in favour of equal recognition.

It doesn't effect the state level much directly.

Thank you Genersis

Federal law currently does not directly address same sex marriage. That's why the anti gay advocates pushed DOMA, because it codified what marriage was on a Federal level. Until DOMA there was no federal definition of marriage. That, in accordance with the tenth amendment, and custom, was left to the states. Each state has the right under the US Constitution to determine how their own laws work.
The operative sections are the 10th, 11th, and 14th amendments.
What needs to happen to speed this process up is that in every state that currently disallows same sex marriage we need to bring lawsuits against the govt of that state for denying people equal rights under the 14th ammendment.
Richard