Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smells, fragrance, odours,
Have you ever noticed that smells are what you associate with things, and memories?

I find that it's the most powerful of the senses in terms of association.

Whenever I smell black and white pepper pork in wheat starch frying, I immediately think to my childhood when I used to eat that.

Another one is the smell of Hong Kong apartments, the odd fruity, clean but plastic smell that smells like home to me.

I wish English had more concepts and words with which we can describe smells without weird comparisons.

Thats how the human system works though.

Smells, sights, sounds, all have "links" to something in our past. Some remember them, some dont.

The sight of antique dolls and teddy bears will always remind me of my granny.
The sight, smell, or words heard about chicken and dumplings will always remind me of my granny and Aunt.

Anyone talking about "weed" will always remind me of my sister. LOL

Thats just the way our brains function.

ooh another smell and taste that i subconsciusly rmember is breakfast rice noodle rolls with sweet peanut and something sauce.

The scent of marzipan has always made me really nostalgic... but it's too vague to pin down. I just kind of get a "feeling" as opposed to a memory.

And the smell of glue reminds me of primary school, when we used to do crafts once a week. That one's a far more solid memory Tongue

The sense of smell is one of the most acute senses that we have. I cannot abide the smell of daffodils because they remind me of my mother's funeral and she dies when I was 5. That was a long time ago.

Krupt Wrote:I smell farts and it makes me remember how disgusting I am.

You are not disgusting. Just human.
Now if you fart at the dinner table or in an elevator, then yeah...youre disgusting.
RoflDrool-smileyRoflDrool-smileyRoflDrool-smiley:hugs-and-kisses-smi
Bighug

Krupt Wrote:Actually anywhere near food or in confined spaces...unless it is with a very close friend who deserves it....earns my scorn.

Other than that, let 'em rip...the louder the funnier, the smellier the funnierer

Well you would have loved me this week then.....I couldnt seem to stop farting.

Evilgrin1

^^^Boys... so gross

For me, hearing is my strongest sense(outside my Spiritual/Empathic one) and when I hear certain songs or sounds, I can remember exactly what was going on when I first heard it.

Whenever I feel a cool breeze whip past me, I feel weird...almost Nostalgic, but not really remembering anything per se, like a long lost pet, but more like I remember feeling the feeling and it transports me else where...And then it stops.

When I walk old paths, especially in foresty-type environments, It's like I remember and feel things that are not things that I've done or felt, so can only assume this is my Empathy with Nature and feeling the "Old" Energies. But this is more of a Spiritual/Emotional Sense.

Cognition, whether it be Post,Pre or Present, is very interesting and is almost like Time Travelling in a Sense...

I've always like the smell of men, I don't mean gross BO I mean every guy I been I remember their smell. Its. I might be strange but I feel like its an animalist (sorry for the made up word) sense Ive got.

I used to go to raves when I was younger and it was strange as I felt all my senses were working at once and I could go into a trance (well I used poppers lol) but nasty smell of poppers reminds me of them night of dancing from 7 to 7.

The best smell ever is when you are walking though a ( Old English) wood just after a big rain storm. Well and the smell of the guy making love to me xx

Smells and lighting dose exactly that to me. To me there is nothing like the smell of a beautiful day in dunedin.