Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exercise and Workouts
What's a good 15-30 minute basic workout these days? And what's the difference between a workout and just exercise?

Every morning for the last week I've been doing a roly-poly crunch (20-30 of them) where you bring your knees to your chest at the same time you pull the rest of your body (torso and up) together, a basic sit up (which I've read you don't anchor your feet…something I'm having a hard time adjusting to) and 20-30 pushups in quick burst succession. At least once to twice a week I go on long distance walks with my best friend when she comes over, I'm thinking about getting back on the bike again as well.

What's everyone else doing?

Well, I run some 2-3 miles every morning. I like running, it really helps me to stay in shape.

An excercise is one movement for example- Military Presses. A workout is a few exercises combined.

Every morning in the height of the summer I get up about 4am and jog for an hour. 4am because I can't possibly do the same once the sun rises, it's far too hot. My exercise is basically to keep my blood sugar down. Once winter sets in I might consider re-joining a gym to do some work with weights,

Shagging 3 times a day

If you have a limited time, you can do High Intensity Interval Training (HITT). It takes less than 10-15 minutes. It's a fat-blasting workout.

HITT is performed by doing intervals of very high intensity work alternated with periods of rest or low intensity.

But you shouldn't do it more than twice a week. You can over train yourself with HITT as it has many of the same effects of weight training session.

When I started my HITT program, I did something simple. But enough to make me pant:

4 Sets, 30 Sec per workout, 30 Sec rest per set.
  • Burpees
  • Mount Climbers
So basically you do Burpees for 30 seconds and then continue with 30 seconds of Mount Climbers. Rest for 30 seconds. Continue for the second round of Burpees and Mount Climbers.

Complete 4 sets.

Or you can sprint with all your effort for 30 seconds. Slow down the phase (Walk or jog) for 30 seconds. Repeat the cycle for 4 to 5 times.

Since HITT can only be performed twice in a week, other days can be filled with Moderate Intensity Steady State (Moderate intensity exercise) like brisk walk or run. Do it for 20-35 minutes. Twice a week.

You should consult with a certified trainer for better understanding on these exercises particularly HITT. I'm just a health freak. I still have lots of things to learn.

My current weekly schedule goes like this:

[B]Morning Session[/B]

Monday & Thursday - HITT
  • Burpees
  • Mount Climbers
  • Jumping Jacks
  • Push Ups
Tuesday & Friday - MISS

Either running, brisk walking or stairs climbing.

[B]Evening Session[/B]

I spend my evening in a gym for weight training.

Jay Wrote:If you have a limited time, you can do High Intensity Interval Training (HITT). It takes less than 10-15 minutes. It's a fat-blasting workout.

HITT is performed by doing intervals of very high intensity work alternated with periods of rest or low intensity.

But you shouldn't do it more than twice a week. You can over train yourself with HITT as it has many of the same effects of weight training session.

When I started my HITT program, I did something simple. But enough to make me pant:

4 Sets, 30 Sec per workout, 30 Sec rest per set.
  • Burpees
  • Mount Climbers
So basically you do Burpees for 30 seconds and then continue with 30 seconds of Mount Climbers. Rest for 30 seconds. Continue for the second round of Burpees and Mount Climbers.

Complete 4 sets.

Or you can sprint with all your effort for 30 seconds. Slow down the phase (Walk or jog) for 30 seconds. Repeat the cycle for 4 to 5 times.

Since HITT can only be performed twice in a week, other days can be filled with Moderate Intensity Steady State (Moderate intensity exercise) like brisk walk or run. Do it for 20-35 minutes. Twice a week.

You should consult with a certified trainer for better understanding on these exercises particularly HITT. I'm just a health freak. I still have lots of things to learn.

My current weekly schedule goes like this:

[B]Morning Session[/B]

Monday & Thursday - HITT
  • Burpees
  • Mount Climbers
  • Jumping Jacks
  • Push Ups
Tuesday & Friday - MISS

Either running, brisk walking or stairs climbing.

[B]Evening Session[/B]

I spend my evening in a gym for weight training.

Goodness. That's quite a bit. Wow

Well, for financial reasons, I'm not ready for the gym or a personal trainer.

As I've only started a quick workout for the last week, I don't think I'll be quite ready for intensive training, not for quite a while anyway. Laugh2

Sounds almost military-like.

I'm slightly over 6'1" and I weighed myself this morning and I topped the scale at 157 pounds.

My program?

once a week push this thing....
[Image: HRR216VKA.jpg]
I use that ^^^ for the two acres of property. Note it doesn't have a drive train so Its all push power.

Once a month I trim all of the hedges, of which I believe there are about 1000 feet of, and I use these:

[Image: 2056546356_1369492376.jpg]
Lets put it this way, by the time I go from the front of the property to the back of the property to trim hedges and shrubs (in about a month, doing a bit every other day or every three days when I get ansey I have been known to trim back half of the hedges in a single day, starting at dawn and not stopping until the sun sets.... Anyways, typically I start at the front and by the time I get to the rear its time to start all over again.

I use this:
[Image: 69481ce7-83fc-4167-b04a-f9a1623e0b17_300.jpg] and this:[Image: url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=NZ1a8un...1413016350]

With this:
[Image: 400105.JPG]

And often this:
[Image: ib8924.jpg]

once or twice a week to clean up debris from the 225' length of driveway, under the carport, in the parking area - (there is a lot of asphalt here now) then God only knows how large/long brick walkways and paths and patios are in total to haul leaves and debris to the back of the property where I dump it all.

California Oak Trees constantly drop leaves and twigs and other stuff (like galls). There are 8 of them hanging over house, driveway, pathways - they keep me busy.

2-3 times a year I climb up on roofs, Main house, my house, Carport roof and remove leaves and debris - Did I mention there are a lot of trees here?

In my spare time I use a hoe, a shovel, and iron rake, to cultivate, dig holes, turn soil, turn compost and plant and maintain a vegetable garden. Once a week I go out and spend about 30 minutes pulling weeds from the vegetable gardens and from the other flower beds.

What time I have left over I clean the 9' deep pool (weekly) with a vacuum hose and attachment followed by a brushing to keep the plaster are nice and smooth.

This doesn't include other projects such as this past year I pulled up all the brick patios and pathways and hauled in enough dirt to raise them 2-6 inches so the brick would be above grade again. That was about oh, 30-35 wheelbarrow (large wheel barrow) full of sandy dirt.

Now here is the kicker, I have a thrashed knee joint and walk on a cane occasionally AND I have herniated disks in my neck and back AND I my left ulnar nerve is dying and I am developing an ulnar claw.

I bet I can throw most of the people who come to this board a fair distance... I am surprisingly strong and agile for a man my age.

Several variants of a workout. Awesome guys. Baer

So, if you were working out with a series of exercises, how often a week would you work out?

Quote:Goodness. That's quite a bit.

Well, for financial reasons, I'm not ready for the gym or a personal trainer.

As I've only started a quick workout for the last week, I don't think I'll be quite ready for intensive training, not for quite a while anyway.

Sounds almost military-like.

Okay, sorry. Well understood, Chris.

Don't worry you neither need a gym nor trainer to exercise. Unless you want to. There are variety of ways to do so without these two.

I like to do push ups at home. Currently I'm only able to do 35 push ups per set. I'm trying to increase it. I'm giving 100 Push Ups Challenge a go.

Embarrassingly I can only do one Pull Up right now. I'm working hard to increase it. My best friend challenges me to master at least 5 - 10 Pull Up by the end of this year.

Quote:So, if you were working out with a series of exercises, how often a week would you work out?

For me, I do:

Cardio. Four times a week. 2 HITT (High Intensity) and 2 MISS (Moderate Intensity).

Gym. Six times per week.

I previously did weightlifting three times per week. Two body parts per day. But now I have to separate one body part per day due to time constraints (Gym is 6 miles away from my office. I take public transport and walk to the gym) and gym factors (Gym size and equipments availability - Everyone wants to use weight machines, barbells and dumbbells in a small gym).

I have been attending Insanity classes at my local gym, it's for an hour each session and it's broken into several parts. You can do Insanity at home by yourself, but I have no room here where I live and I like working out in groups. It's pretty intense, it's very manic and I like it cause I never get bored with it.

I also do free weights for 30-45 minutes, arms, legs, chest, back, and abs. Then I have days that I dedicate on just cardio for about 40mns to an hour.

I used to be 260lb and I went down to 150lb, now I'm trying to be around 175-80lb and tone and gain some decorative muscles.. r'something ;D

..but remember to do it for yourself and nobody else ;]