Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restless Legs Syndrome
This is an extremely common condition, about 1/6 people experience it.

My mother keeps complaining about it and telling me that my whole life will fail if it's not treated o_O. Apparently with me, it's so bad that when I sleep, I basically start vibrating. I can't actually feel myself doing it or stop it consciously. I have to use my hands to stop them shaking about. It's usually just the right leg too.

I can't think of any way to treat it, but I'm doubtful what the doctor can do since there's no straight treatment.

I'm sure many of you experience this, so any advice on how to deal with it?

Yay!

Wouldn't it be funny if my legs just like fell off one day.

xD

Lilitu Wrote:This is an extremely common condition, about 1/6 people experience it.

My mother keeps complaining about it and telling me that my whole life will fail if it's not treated o_O. Apparently with me, it's so bad that when I sleep, I basically start vibrating. I can't actually feel myself doing it or stop it consciously. I have to use my hands to stop them shaking about. It's usually just the right leg too.

I can't think of any way to treat it, but I'm doubtful what the doctor can do since there's no straight treatment.

I'm sure many of you experience this, so any advice on how to deal with it?

My advice is that go to the doctor so you'll get things started. I can from personal experience (in treatments, not in Restless Legs Syndrome) say that it takes time to find suitable treatment that will help, the same medication works differently with different people. When the suitable combination is found, your life can become much easier, but you'll never know if you don't go to see a doctor.

Here is something that I found from site called National Institute of Neurological Disorder and Stroke:

For those with mild to moderate symptoms, many physicians suggest certain lifestyle changes and activities to reduce or eliminate symptoms. Decreased use of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may provide some relief. Physicians may suggest that certain individuals take supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate, and magnesium. Taking a hot bath, massaging the legs, or using a heating pad or ice pack can help relieve symptoms in some patients.

Physicians also may suggest a variety of medications to treat RLS, including dopaminergics, benzodiazepines (central nervous system depressants), opioids, and anticonvulsants. The drugs ropinirole, pramipexole, gabapentin enacarbil, and rotigotine have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating moderate to severe RLS.

So, I'd say seeing the doctor would help you the most. I hope you'll get those legs "under control" Smile

- SilverFrost -

i find my self doing it
take it as a sign to relax, get up and move about for a little. Resume what i was doing in a few minutes.

I've never experienced things like that. It sounds very unpleasant though.

Heard of it but never experienced it, but sometimes at night i feel like i want something under my feet, like... to raise them a little, so i tuck the bottom of the blanket under them, i always thought this was odd until i was watching something and a proffesional football player was talking with his wife and a tv presenter, and he had same thing only worse and puts about 5 pillows under his feet at night lol

Restless Leg Syndrome is a misleading name, since it doesn't just affect the legs.

My dad recently had a scare where he was unable to sleep for several days, culminating in violent muscle spasms and a visit to the emergency room in the wee hours (they didn't actually treat him because of a glitch in the system with our insurance, good ole American health care - even if you're insured they'll find a way to not give a fuck about you when you actually might need them to). The cause was complications between his meds for RLS and his meds for cholesterol - after the first doc visit they prescribed something that made the symptoms way worse. RLS wouldn't be an issue if only my dad could get that medical weed. The good stuff Wink

Ive had this all my life, but I started noticing it when I was in my late 20's because it started becoming painful.

Here are some "home remedies" that I have heard of over the years:

Take an aspirin and then soak in a hot water bath for at least 10 minutes before going to bed.

Different kinds of all natural herbal teas for relaxing nerves.

Heating pads on the "major" distressed areas.

A vigorous massage before bed.

Hot milk before bed.

When it gets bad for me know, I just take some prescription pain meds.
They dont do a lot of good, but work well enough for me to sleep ok.

Just cut off the leg to save on wondering if it will fall off and also reduce worry of paying hospital bills.

Wait, is this Give Bad Advice?

The first time I heard the term "Restless Leg Syndrome" I literally laughed out loud. I'm not sure why.. but I pictured someone almost dancing in bed.

I'm not sure what can be done about it.. other than trying to calm the mind before sleep. Maybe a nice cup of chamomile tea?!