Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming Out Quiz
If you're out, please take this coming out quiz to help those of us who are still stuck in the closet.

1. Why did you come out when you did?
2. What was the best part about coming out?
3. What was the worst part?
4. What was the biggest surprise?
5. Any regrets about coming out?

Thanks

1. I came out to friends and family in February of this year because I was accomplishing so much and I was happier in life (new college, new job, more of a social life, etc...).

2. The best part was seeing the people that care about me being happy for me and being myself. Everyone that knows me that I have told has been super supportive and accepting of the fact that I'm gay.

3. For me, there hasn't been a worst part. At least not yet.

4. Seeing my closest friends tear up in excitement that I came out. Their smiles made me smile (as well as some tears of happiness).

5. My only regret is not coming out in high school. I wish I had done it sooner and knowing I would have had supportive friends back then I would have done it. But at that time I failed to realize how many people cared about me.

It just felt like high time.
Guys started flirting with me Laugh That'd be the main one. That, and I just felt I could be more open about things, and I didn't have to awkwardly avoid gender-specific words when I was talking about people I was seeing.
Female friends trying to set me up with every person with a penis... and suddenly asking me for advice on things like fashion, boys, etc - because they suddenly assumed I'd be knowledgeable. And when straight guys decided to ask me every single question that popped into their heads about "gay stuff" xD
The relative acceptance. I was "bullied" by like one guy, who was bullying me before anyway, so it didn't really make a difference.
Nope. Not a single one.

No idea.

Not sure how to explain it, but it was very rewarding somehow.

When you live in a homophobic village, coming out makes other closeted and desperate guys sort of come on to you in secret via Facebook.

The fact that nobody really bullied me about it.

I regret coming out as bisexual because I'm getting pretty sure I'm actually gay and I'm afraid coming out again might damage my credibility or make people believe I change sexuality for attention...

I accepted it myself and didn't want to hide it.

The feeling that I was finally free to be myself.

Trying to tell my straight-laced extreme conservative parents.

My parents were accepting and supportive.

None.

Because I wanted to let people get to know the real me.

Being able to be myself

That my parents didn't approve

How many people were so supportive

Nope Smile

The first people I came out to were two of my best friends. I came out because I was really struggling with my feelings and I just needed to tell someone. I wasn't sure at that time whether I was gay, but I knew in any case I probably wasn't straight. I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore.. it was driving me insane.
Then about a year later (I'd figured out I was gay by then), I came out further because I had a boyfriend, and I wanted my family and friends to meet him.

Not having to hide anymore. And the fact that my family and most of my friends were very supportive, something I really hadn't expected at all, especially not from my friends.

The absolutely terrifying moments before telling. I was shaking, sweating, and pretty much on the verge of crying. I don't ever wanna go through that kind of agony again.
I also sometimes still fear that people will see me differently. Even though I'm still the same person, and people can see that, I still feel like maybe they think of me as "gay." Yes, I know, I am, but.. yeah..

My friends' reaction. I never thought they'd be accepting, but they were all so cool about it (though extremely surprised).

No, not at all Smile

I had been married to a woman for years. A couple years after our divorce I found myself with a boyfriend. I live in a small community and would rather be out than hide it and worry about rumors.

The reaction of my teenage kids, "We just want you to be happy."

Just my own fear each time I told a friend.

My friends have been so respectful that no rumors spread around my little community. There are still people who don't know months later, and it doesn't matter to me either way.

None!

I came out when I did when I was sent flowers at work from a guy I just had started dating and I was tired of lying and so I just told a co-worker that it was from a guy that I was dating and he asked if I was gay and I said yeah and he then said that he hopes I am not attracted to him and I told him no worries with that one. I then eventually came out to my parents and sibblings that are all older than me.

Not having to explain why I am single and it just felt alot better to get it out and in the open. I eventually told all my cousins and family on that side as well that are very religious, they don't agree with it but they accept me so that is good.

I really didn't see any bad parts of coming out. I mean for 6 years I was out of the closet and active and had boyfriends that lasted from a few days to ones that lasted almost 2 years and now I am at the point or have been that I only tell people that are important to me and if they can't guess that I am gay then it really doesn't matter. I just hate that since you are gay you have to either be out of the closet or in the closet or whatever and I don't see how you have to have the world revolve around your sexuality. That is of course just my opinion. Do what you feel like is right and or what your gut feeling tells you to do.

My parenst reaction and them being very open with me and accepting me. My father wanted to do more father son things and he was very cool and just wanted me to be happy. I would introduce my boyfriends to them and would do things with them. I remember going to a Cubs game with my parents and my bf at the time. It was cool that my family were so accepting of who I really was. They still are to this day.

When I was active in the gay community, ie dating and all that and had boyfriends and was busy with work and social life I was also in the National Guard and I ended up comming out and I kind of wish that I would have never done that because sometimes I would have liked to rejoin and go back in the Military but as always everything happens for a reason.

I felt lonely and unaccepted....I knew I was gay and someday I would have to eventually tell someone...I came out last march...
To my friends...It was nice to see them accept me so much
My family...my parents cried...my sisters cried...I'm sure they'll come along soon though. Hopefully.
My friends had no suspicion that i was gay at all, and that me coming out was completely out of the blue.
No, I did what had to be done.