Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you stop mouth breathing?
How do you stop mouthbreathing when you sleep?

I hate mouth breathing, but I always find myself doing it. It feels so unhygienic, especially when something smells bad around me.

Also, I can't sleep without mouth breathing. I keep trying but I always end up either opening my mouth or suffocating myself.

unhygienic from smells? WAT?

[Image: Confused-Cat.jpeg]

breathing in and out of your mouth during sleep from my experience will happen if you sleep on your back and have any restriction in nasal breathing. I have sinusitis and often do it, and it leads to snoring half the time.

However, if I sleep on my side, my airways clear up a bit, and at least my tongue and oral tissues fall forwards so its a more natural breathing rhythm.

Saying that, you can't eliminate mouth breathing during sleep, you are asleep woman! your muscles are relaxed and in that state your jaw is naturally going to drop down and potentially open your mouth. There is nothing wrong with that.

p.s clean your room if you have bad smells apart from farting.

lol not bad smells in the house, bad smells outside. When I'm awake and I mouth breathe bad smells it feels like someone has farted in my throat.

I sleep on my front, so I sleep lying down on my belly.

Lilitu Wrote:lol not bad smells in the house, bad smells outside. When I'm awake and I mouth breathe bad smells it feels like someone has farted in my throat.

I sleep on my front, so I sleep lying down on my belly.

rub a little lavender oil on your pillow and put some pot pouri on your windowsill, that should block out any nasty odours... we gotta breath hun, we just gotta

Zumazoo Wrote:rub a little lavender oil on your pillow and put some pot pouri on your windowsill, that should block out any nasty odours... we gotta breath hun, we just gotta

Ohhhhh I love lavender!

I miss having an oil burner in my room, those things are the sheeeet. I also love sandalwood, but lavender is much better when I am sleeping.

[Image: BM1NXB_1964966c.jpg]

What I've heard, the best way to easiest breathing while you sleep, is to sleep on your side. Maybe you could try that and put some pillows for example, to prevent you from turning.

If you can smell it, then your breathing through your nose!

Besides, if your sleeping you have no control of how you breath, unless you plan on putting something over your mouth Shakin

ObW
X

The structure of the nasal passages and throat changes when one is lying down - it further changes when you totally relax.

Physically caused sleep apnea from something like a deviated septum is one decent example - the nasal passage closes up due to gravity and the passages relaxing so much.

And its must far, far easier to breath through the mouth than the nose - it requires less pressure from the lungs, thus your diaphragm works far less.

As for smells - well maybe its time to clean your room ;-) The suggestion of using scented stuff in your room to cover the smells is a good one. Around here when the weather is cool enough and the breezes blow from upriver to down here, we get the lovely perfume from the sewage treatment plant and the 'sanitation' department's temporary trash heap.

I have planted highly aromatic plants/herbs outside - heirloom stink roses, lavender, mint, etc.

Inside, under the bed, couch, and other furniture, I have piles of eucalyptus - not only does it smell nice it helps to keep the flea population down - I gots dogs, or the gots me.. either way fleas happen.

My room doesn't smell. Stop thinking my room smells!
I was talking about other smells outside, where I sometimes also mouth breathe.

>:-( I'm not smelly.

Also, I managed to sleep with my mouth closed last night I believe, I held my mouth shut for about 3 hours before I went to bed, and I think it stayed that way.

Some people have small nasal passages, some peoples noses block up when they lay down, and some people have obstructions that causes breathing problems during sleep.

You can either have expensive surgery to fix that, get some very expensive breathing apparatus, or ..... if you are like me and are poor, you can try these.....

[Image: breathe%20right_08132010121752.jpg]

They work for me.