Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fuss
I've been seeing a lot of those "Wi-Fi hotspot" signs around town lately but I haven't actually tried them out.Problem is I don't know whether or not my laptop has Wi-Fi connectivity.What I do know it that it does have something called WLAN.Whats the difference between the two?My notebook is constantly picking up these wireless signals which then prompt me to enter some key.It's all so confusing.

Dan1089 Wrote:I've been seeing a lot of those "Wi-Fi hotspot" signs around town lately but I haven't actually tried them out.Problem is I don't know whether or not my laptop has Wi-Fi connectivity.What I do know it that it does have something called WLAN.Whats the difference between the two?My notebook is constantly picking up these wireless signals which then prompt me to enter some key.It's all so confusing.

Sorry, Dan, can't help you there...

Dan1089 Wrote:I've been seeing a lot of those "Wi-Fi hotspot" signs around town lately but I haven't actually tried them out.Problem is I don't know whether or not my laptop has Wi-Fi connectivity.What I do know it that it does have something called WLAN.Whats the difference between the two?My notebook is constantly picking up these wireless signals which then prompt me to enter some key.It's all so confusing.

WLAN is wireless local area network so yes you do have a type of WI-FI. Since your Lappy is picking up signals then you even have your WI-FI on... if you are not using it then it is eating up battery power.

Dont know your area but most LapTops have some sort of WI-FI meaning that a lot of homes and businesses have WI-FI. You are seeing those connections. Again, your WI-FI setting is on search mode and constantly searching for connections = eating up battery.

There is only one coffee shop I know of around here that is offering free service. Some charge or give you a connection when you buy something. That is where the key is being asked for. It is a specific password to the wireless internet connection and for security is closed.

Going around with my iPod Touch (which has wi-fi) I search out my neighborhood and most homes are protected but some are OPEN = very dangerous Wink

Thanks for clearing that up for me then!I will have to go test it out after church today.Some places are free,like my local News Cafe (our version of Starbucks) so I will have to pop in there.