Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please HELP me decide.
Another Repair or Replacement?

I have been working for 1.5 years with Apple Executive Customer Relations on getting a decent MacBook Pro laptop. The original MBP I had had a horrible screen and some issues with the keyboard. After many attempts to fix the issues all failed and I was given an upgrade for my trouble. I now have the MacBookPro3.1, 2.4 GHz, Memory: 2 GB, 800 MHz, GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB NVIDIA.

This MBP also had a poor display and keyboard issues but I was waiting for the engineers to get their act together and fix all issues. I was finally assured that the screen was perfect and the keyboard issues were a hardware problem and the new keyboards were perfect.

I really rely on this computer. It was hard to perform and communicate for five days without the MBP. I dont live near a store so had to mail it in.

Finally got the MBP back and the screen has a bad connection, keyboard was not replaced, but HD was replaced???

So the MBP has to go in for repairs again. This time it will get "White Glove Service" (new Apple phrase???) and could take even longer. I asked for a loaner and was refused.

First I was offered a new replacement but am nervous about changing over to the new OS - Leopard. I eventually will (have upgrade disk) but with some of my disabilities I dont have the energy to deal with learning a new OS...

Overnite I thought about it and since they wont give me a loaner this time (they did give me one before) maybe it is better to get a new MBP.

Now they say they will give me a comparable model. I think this means they will give me the 2.4GHz retailing now for $1999 but when my MBP came out it was $2499. I dont think this is fair. I can scream and cry and maybe get the current $2499 version but I hate doing that cr@p.

Should I bite the bullet and take a monetary hit on a new MBP or tell Apple to keep making repairs until I am satisfied. If I go the repair route it will cost Apple hundreds maybe a thousand to keep repairing it and I could keep complaining that it is NOT perfect and keep sending it in for repairs but then I suffer without the computer...

What should I do? I have a couple days to decide?

thanks for any suggestions

Personally i'd keep on at them until it was perfect, you shouldn't have to buy a new one just because they have a faulty product.
Saying this though if you do rely on it so much then maybe it would be more economical for you to just get a new one. Suppose it depends how much you think you can do without it for a while.

While I'd like to think I would hold out for the principle of like for like I think I would end up taking the path of least resistance and take the new machine ... any chance you could get them to upgrade the new one to the value you paid?

Being without the computer for weeks on end is painful, as I well remember when my G4 PowerBook needed the logic board and keyboard replaced just before the twelve month warranty expired. It serves me well now though as my main music computer.

I'd be tempted to go for the new one because it's never going to get better, now, is it??? In all likelihood?
But then I'm no technician and I'm lousy at keeping things in their original shape.

I just discovered a way to get the new version... well someone smarter than me figured it out!

I dont really know what I am talking about here but...

on the current 2.4 GHz the L2 Cache is 3MB but my 2.4 GHz has 4MB. Apple cant downgrade any aspect of the replacement so they must upgrade me to the newest $2500 version which has L2 Cache of 6MB.

Yeah!

Some have posted that if you get a laptop repaired too many times you get more problems than you start with = already happened to me with just one repair!

Gonna talk to them Monday and will report how it goes.

thanks guys.

I got just about everything I wanted. Decided on the new MBP replacement. It will be a special order unit with some great upgrades. Hopefully it will be perfect out of the box. A friend of mine took his out of the box and the display was detached from the frame???

They are going to give me a full refund on my AppleCare warranty so I can start new on that.

Only thing I didnt get was a Tiger install disk. Hopefully I will love the new OS Leopard. I have gotten some instructions on how to possibly change to Tiger but there could be complications.

Will probably get the new unit in a couple of weeks as it is coming from China.

thanks guys for the suggestions.

Update

MBP replacement arrived middle of the week. I was super busy but slowly added my old stuff to the new one.

It is running really nicely and so far I really like the new OS Leopard. The cover flow is pretty cool.

Congrats.Okay,what do you have on Steve Jobs that's so bad?!I can't believe that they're being so nice.

Dan1089 Wrote:Congrats.Okay,what do you have on Steve Jobs that's so bad?!I can't believe that they're being so nice.

Oh Dan, I would never black-male SJ.

That is just the way Apple is. Honestly. If you buy Apple in the USA and are under warranty and have issues you will be treated as a valued customer. Honestly.

I cant tell you all the presents Apple has given me after they fuc@ed up again and again... OK, I will brag. Other than all the replacements & upgrades of laptops Talker Talker Talker I was told to go into the Apple store and pick out any laptop bag I wanted $120 Talker Talker Talker because the keyboard had known issues and couldnt be fixed I was given the new wireless metal Apple keyboard $80 (It is the most amazing keyboard ever) Talker Talker Talker then after a year of waiting for the engineers to fix the keyboard issues and display issues I told customer relations I was really upset with the engineers NOT doing their job. The woman asked me what I would like her to do and I said the first thing that came to my mind Talker I want in iPod Touch Talker and she agreed. I was in total shock. I got the 8GB and it is an amazing machine $300 Talker Talker Talker

I doubt that I will manage it but my next goal is to ask for the new Time Capsule - fingers crossed...

so my investment in a $1200 used PowerBook has really paid off Laugh1

p.s. if you ever need help with any customer relations let me do the talking for ya...

fjp999 Wrote:Oh Dan, I would never black-male SJ.
p.s. if you ever need help with any customer relations let me do the talking for ya...

Hahaha, Frank, this is great news. Hope you enjoy all the new features. AT LAST!!! Anyway, I'll let you do the talking for me, if you're that good at getting free upgrades. Think Marsh might also be interested, lol. He has an Apple.