Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you love where you live?
Let's hear some positive things about places we love. I'm gonna wait to participate until at least 10 people have posted.

I love the place where I live because I am ten minutes away from the country side. Some where I can go for peace and quite because I live in a busy town.
An eye for an eye

it reminds me of Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :biggrin:

It's not Arkansas.

That might seem like a jab, and it partly is, but it's also just a reflection of Arkansas being the last state I lived in, and I really could not ever feel at home there.

Pros and cons, snow is just up the hill, get real weather, by that I mean seasons, sister lives here, gay friendly, good people who help their neighbors, cons, no ocean, can't surf, gets cold (below freezing), not like San Diego where I grew up, but not gay friendly, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

I love my friends that live here, who are involved in giving my city a bit of culture that I enjoy. But for them, I don't like my city, other in that there's an opportunity at my college for leaving the city, haha.... I love my COUNTRY for so many reasons... not least of which is that I'd have died/gone into eternal debt long ago if I lived in a country without free health care (low income family). Smile.

Well, I'll give you pro's and cons..

I live in Connecticut, but I'm gonna generalize and say New England.

Pro:
There's a lot of cute New England towns everywhere with cute
shops, pubs, etc..

Depends on which part you go, but people are generally open
minded to the whole gay bit. So I've never really had an issue
with that living here.

Fall is amazing, the colors, the Fall/Autumn traditions, apple
and pumpkin picking. Stuff like that.

Nature is pretty abundant. The woods is a few walks away and theres
parks which are nice places to visit.

Cons:
Well, you need a car to pretty much get anywhere. There's no
local railway unless in cities like New Haven, Ct.

I live in the suburbs, but there's pretty much cows a few streets down from
my house, so there's really nothing to do. Can't really walk down somewhere
and do something. Not much of a culture really.. food, music, art,..etc.

Aside from Spring, Summer, Fall the rest of the year which is Winter
pretty much everything turns into a frozen tundra. Fall is starting to become
short lived as of the past few years cause it's been starting to get pretty cold
mid-October and pretty much starts to snow right around that time.

Snow. I know some folks love it and can't get enough of it, but I'm sick of it.
I migrated from a tropical country and well when I was younger, it was pretty
and well.. sometimes I still think that, then I remember I have to actually either
clean that shit up or worse drive in it.

Humidity. Last summer I went to California [Bay Area/San Fran] and it was
amazing. Warm, but not humid where you're pretty much swimming on land.
As soon as we got back here, I totally hated it. It was the worse, specially when
this past year with that heat-wave business.

That's pretty much it on top of my head. I've lived here since I was 9 and aside
from a few side trips here and there, I haven't really seen much of America. I
can't wait to get out of here, hopefully by the end of next year and get myself
settled in California [SF/Bay Area..]

I love where I live because it motivates me to move! Smile

You said to be positive Wink

Pros:
Old New England town with lots of culture- Stanley Whitman House, Hillstead Museum, First Church (built in 1771), a lot of old houses along Main Street, the Farmington Canal;
Lots of great places to get food- Naples Pizza, Peachwave, Starbucks, the ice cream parlor at the mini- golf place etc.;
lots of continuing ed events- town history classes and walks/tours, cooking/music/language/computer/exercise classes etc;
Great library + schools;
Not far from state capital or other important cities/towns- which is great. because there's always some awesome music/theater/art things going on in West Hartford or Hartford, like the Hartford Symphony Orchestra;
People are generally pretty friendly;

Cons:
Psychotic weather (i.e we get all 4 seasons- sometimes all in one day!);
People tend to drive very aggressively (especially on rt 84, 72, 91...);
There's a fair amount of social/economic stratification;
You need a car to get anywhere fast- my town has 1/5 the population of the capital but is 2x the size (in terms of area), everything's really spread out

California is the best.

We grow 55%+ of the food raised in the USA, thus we ultimately end up feeding about 1/5th of the world. And we have a huge diversity in what we raise. Yeah Sure Wisconsin may be the Dairy State, but that is all they are known for. Nebraska may raise the most corn, but you know what, we have avocados, lettuce, tomatoes - well everything. In fact we have so much of everything we have the most food processing plants than any other in the USA: http://www.ers.usda.gov/faqs.aspx

Almonds, Peaches, Avacodo, oranges, Strawberries and Cheese - lots and lots of cheese. You name it an its most likely raised right in here in California. We produce over 200 varieties of food - from livestock to plant materials. We are number two in cotton production, Texas beats us - but only slightly.

Seafood - Guess who fishes the most of any state in the union - if you said California you would be correct.

Manufacturing - we make it all. In fact even in the depths of this economic depression, with all of the people out of work we are still ranking number one in manufactured goods. http://www.netstate.com/economy/ca_economy.htm

Our technology is still ranking pretty high. We devise and implement the latest technologies here, and have been known to be a decade ahead of most of the other states. The reason why most people hate new technology is because our developers are already using technology that is hella advanced, thus our programs, apps, and stuff is designed to work on a system that much of the rest of the country doesn't have yet.

Everything any other states gets from China, Taiwan, Japan most likely came through one of our major ports. http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf/JTF_PortsJTF.pdf 80% of the crap that we receive or ship was from or to another state.

We have 12% of the US population thus have the largest LGBT community in the USA. We pay the most to the Federal Government as well - Well since we have over 30 million workers paying federal taxes.

We have beaches with warm water to swim in, if you get bored its only 3-4 hours drive to snow and skiing (nearly year round).

We are so Awesome/Rad/totally tubular everyone learns our language and speaks it. Bromance - we invented that term. In fact most of the new words that are socially adopted will most likely hail from us, because we have the diverse culture and sub cultures due to our incredible climate and its diversity.

We are home to many of the webs most well known websites.

We have more colleges and Universities than you can shake a stick at. So popular are those we get way too many people from around the globe beating a line to our higher education system. Were so full of ourselves we have both first and second place in top schools in the USA: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreview...top-public Then when you go down a little lower you find we don't just stop there.

We are giving Harvard a run for its money. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-06...ltech.html

We produce nearly all of the refined oil products for the western half of the Nation - you want gasoline, you most likely have to ask us. Sure a lot of it comes from elsewhere, but most of that goes through our refineries...

Speaking of oil, California produces around 20% of the oil the US uses. But we have only 12% of the population. If we ever tire of the rest of you we produce nearly twice the amount of oil we need... Then there is the minor fact that we have yet to drill our off shore reserves... We don't need Alaska, Texas and the rest of the world to meet our energy needs.

Speaking of mineral wealth. California is the second largest producer of anything mineral in the USA. And that is simply because we decided not to strip mine the whole state. http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/geolo...index.aspx

Copper, iron, Silver, Magnesium - well there are over 300 minerals and ores we dig out of California.

And California has the most strict laws when it comes to what is and is not allowed in things like food, manufactured goods and our own personal environmental laws make the EPA look like raving lunatics. Which is why California refuses to tap that oil or those minerals.

We have a diversity of ecologies unmatched by any other state, from subtropical to the most dessertified (Death Valley), from the perpetually cool and damp San Francisco to the Mediterranean climate that I personally enjoy. Don't like the climate one place, then drive a couple hours and you will have a whole new climate to enjoy.

We have the second most popular wine industry and make the most notable wines besides France. Napa Valley - That's ours.

Our state is so beautiful millions flock here each year from around the world to see out natural beauty: http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/califor...he-country We also make a lot of money off those tourists, to the tune of $87 billion - even with this current economic depression, we still rank number one on that tourist attraction list. http://brainz.org/5-states-depend-tourism-economically/

Texas says its the biggest - Yeah but we have the biggest trees - Naner naner Texas - we literally grow em bigger here.

We have cultural Diversity you can think of: San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland/Fremont, Los Angeles, out of the top Ten we take 4 of those all on our own (stuff that up your Tail pipe Texas) http://www.cnbc.com/id/43066296/page/12

California is neatly divided into Liberal and Conservative. Everyone else thinks we are a bunch of lib-tards - nah, that's the coastal cities, drive out about a mile from those and you hit seriously hard core Conservatives. We have rednecks, cowboys, holy rollers, you name it we got it. Yeah we are pretty well known for our Gays and our Hippies - but we have everything.

Movies - well we invented Hollywood now didn't we....

There is no state like California and I suspect that there is no place on earth that is diverse and interesting as California.